Looking for my old bike - F408 VVC - Custom Red/White/Black GK73A

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
computid
Settled in member
Reactions:
Looking for my old bike - F408 VVC - Custom Red/White/Black GK73A

Post by computid » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:11 pm

Hi All,

I hope nobody minds this post being here, it is sort-of a wanted ad, but for a very specific bike, and even if it's not for sale I'd like to know where it is!

Around 8/9 years ago I owned a GSXR 400 GK73A with the registration F408 VVC. This bike had been custom painted in a Red/White/Black colour scheme, and had the frame and swing arm polished to a chrome finish. It was my first big bike and I spent a lot of time working on it with my father.

I eventually sold the bike and moved along the usually sports bike track of a 750, then a 1000, and now I ride a Yamaha XT660Z along with a 5PW R1.

I was thinking back as to how much fun the GSXR was, and whilst I don't really have any interest in owning a different one, I would like to own that one again for the nostalgic value. I note that it's last MOT was in 2016 so I'm assuming it's sitting in somebodies garage somewhere. Unfortunately I've lost the contact details of the person I sold it to so I can't follow that route.

If anybody knows what happened to it (or indeed has it!), I'd be very keen to know, even if you're not looking to sell it right now. If you are however looking to sell it, I'd be very interested in having a conversation. I've put a few pictures below of the bike just in case it jogs anybody's memory!

Many thanks,

Adam

bikermike
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Looking for my old bike - F408 VVC - Custom Red/White/Black GK73A

Post by bikermike » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:31 pm

Hi Adam,

It was me who bought the gsxr from you. I had probably less than a year (my now wife decided she didnt want to do her test and i ended up having a pretty bad accident around that time on another bike so ended up selling it).
I remember getting it running - adjusted the valves, put on new ignition coils and it fired right up, but didnt run right at lower throttle levels. Hands down, best sounding bike ive ever had - it was like a formula 1 car even at legal speeds!
I sold it to a gentleman called Pat that i used to work with. He managed to get it running properly, it was the plastic caps on top of the carbs, they had warped over the years and were no longer flat and sealing properly, he flattened them and got it running properly.
Pat retired soon after and I've since moved up to scotland.

Good chance Pat still has it - I think i remember him living in Bedfordshire. I could ask some old colleagues for his contact details and see if he's still around?

PS been a member of this forum since i got the bike but never touched it - only found this post from randomly googling old numberplates from vehicles i used to own!

cheers
Mike.