GSXR400 SP2 what would you think it's worth?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2tk,NC30, YB7
GSXR400 SP2 what would you think it's worth?

Post by laminator » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi, I'm new here, well in the GSXR section anyway. I normally hang out in the FZR area and sometimes in the VFR section.

I've seen a GSXR 400 SP2 1991, it's got a few cosmetic issues but generally seems OK. Dint in tank, wrong colour nose, scratched exhaust, ripped rear seat, and some other minor bits. Looking on ebay I can obtain a good seat for not a lot of cash, the tank I can fix, etc

The carbs have been rebuilt with new o rings and seals, etc.

I've looked for other examples to get an idea of price but it seems to vary massively! Anybody give me a ball park figure I can work on?

(I think it will fit in well with the FZR400 SP, VFR400, YB7.....)

Cheers.

stripes1976
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 6 gk76a's, nc29
Re: GSXR400 SP2 what would you think it's worth?

Post by stripes1976 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:03 pm

Do you have any pics? Also a frame number as the sp2 didn't come until later. 90-91 was the sp with the taller of the gearboxes. It could still be an sp2 as I have seen various bikes registered in the UK with wrong years on them. I had a 90 registered as a 95 and a 94 as an 89 even though they never made the 76 in 89. The condition really determines the price. Also the way it runs and carbon issues play a massive part.

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2tk,NC30, YB7
Re: GSXR400 SP2 what would you think it's worth?

Post by laminator » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:47 pm

Cheers for the reply.

The seller has a road version himself. He's done all the carbs with new seals and o rings. States it runs well, the 9k on the clocks is not correct and mileage is unknown. I'm not worried about it being in good condition I can work on it down our workshop.

I wasn't sure what sort of money this would reach, I've seen imports with more problems going for over £1000, and also seen older and tatty bikes advertised for 2.5k !

As far as I can tell it is a '91 SP2 :- http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-R-series/GSX-R400.shtml

FYI - The bike fetched £1058 on that auction site everybody knows. I didn't buy it.