Knowlage required.......

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Karlrennison
Settled in member
Reactions:
Knowlage required.......

Post by Karlrennison » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:50 am

Morning all, I've just got myself a 1995 gsxr 400 that I know very little about, both in terms of the bike and the general scene as I've always had new 600's. I 'acquired' the bike on the back of some work I did and noticed a cover over something. I asked about it and was told that the bike was used until the throttle stopped working properly. It was taken off the road, upon taking the tank off to investigate the problem, he broke the petrol tap and that's where it ended. Roll on 6yrs of it just sat under the cover, and it's now mine. The only thing I have done with it is push it in the garage, not had chance to look at it due to being busy but hopeful that I can today. It's all there complete, apart from all the plastic is off the bike. I know it's gonna take a fair amount of work to get it back up to standard, but it's not the first 'project' I've done as I'm also the owner of some self restored aircooled vw's. Hopefully I can find out about it on here with no doubt lots of knowlage available.

So could you enlighten me on some of the details regarding the bike, what 'model' it is, engine details etc, as I do know nothing about it lol. Will try post some pictures when I get chance.
Cheers, Karl.

panda
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1990 gk76a
Re: Knowlage required.......

Post by panda » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi im far from an expert gained most of my knowledge of these bike here :rocks: take a look at this link if it works :pray: the frame number on right hand side of frame /Headstock will help There are differences between SP and NON SP TPS on carbs and different forks sure more people will be along to help out .pete
http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-R-series/GSX-R400.shtml

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied
Re: Knowlage required.......

Post by Variablevalves suck » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Take a look look on the site as posted by panda and you should be able to match your paint scheme to the bikes on there.

They are pretty simple bikes and fairly reliable so apart from the usual things like perished tyres and brake lines, old oil and coolant you shouldn't be to bad.

The main things will be the well documented carb issues. If it starts and run's I'd leave them because if you pull them apart its a full rebuild with new orings.
Also check the underside of the tank as they are prone to rotting.

If you have a dig around this site you might find info on rebuilding the petrol tap
I'm sure somebody posted about rebuilding it.