gsxr 400 possible engine mods

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
alcyjohn
Settled in member
Reactions:
gsxr 400 possible engine mods

Post by alcyjohn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:41 pm

i am building a bike at the moment im using a gsxr 400 engine its a gk71f was just wondering if any body can recommend some engine mods to get a little extra cheers from alex

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: gsxr 400 possible engine mods

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Put a 750 in it ?

alcyjohn
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alcyjohn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Want to stick with the 4 just thought there could be ways to get a little extra from it

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am

Not the easiest engine to tune and can be fragile as well, I would just get it running correctly first then see how it goes.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 am

Well like any engine, you can flow the head and match the intakes to the carb stubs. The camshafts could be reprofiled (Kent Cams ?). You could look for a piston kit (unlikely) or have a look at using parts from another bike and build a hybrid engine, probably with 600 parts. You can look for a free flowing air filter and bitter downpipes and maybe a can.
Building an engine is expensive and having tuning will work out more so ... you'll probably spend about 400-500 for a standard engine rebuild (gaskets, shims, skims, and rings), a head will be £300-500 then you need the carbs sorted out with a bit of dyno time £250 all on a four hundred that can get a bit fragile if it's taken to far.

I'd say build the engine standard first, get it running and reliable. Spend your money on suspension, you'll probably need a rear shock, ask a couple of suspension firms what they would do to the forks. Overhaul the brakes with new fluid pads and maybe lines if needed check the chain and sprokets, use some good tyres.
Any road bikes value is in it's reliability and ride quality first, then you can tune it.

alcyjohn
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alcyjohn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Cheers for the advice ill get the engine running as it should and take it from there thanks from alex

stripes1976
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 6 gk76a's, nc29

Post by stripes1976 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:Well like any engine, you can flow the head and match the intakes to the carb stubs. The camshafts could be reprofiled (Kent Cams ?). You could look for a piston kit (unlikely) or have a look at using parts from another bike and build a hybrid engine, probably with 600 parts. You can look for a free flowing air filter and bitter downpipes and maybe a can.
Building an engine is expensive and having tuning will work out more so ... you'll probably spend about 400-500 for a standard engine rebuild (gaskets, shims, skims, and rings), a head will be £300-500 then you need the carbs sorted out with a bit of dyno time £250 all on a four hundred that can get a bit fragile if it's taken to far.

I'd say build the engine standard first, get it running and reliable. Spend your money on suspension, you'll probably need a rear shock, ask a couple of suspension firms what they would do to the forks. Overhaul the brakes with new fluid pads and maybe lines if needed check the chain and sprokets, use some good tyres.
Any road bikes value is in it's reliability and ride quality first, then you can tune it.

HMMMMM!!!! Can i please pull the chickens feathers out!!! Long time mate!!!! I think last time was bike show in london lol.

Want a mental 76a???
442cc piston kit. There is a crank aswell the gives a longer stroke. Heads respond great and you dont even need to raise rev limit to mate in excess of 80 at the rear wheel in fact power peaks very slightly lower in rev range with more torque. And yes it has been done but i'm not going to give away all my secrets.
But i personally love it as a 442cc with sp gearing and 636 front end and thou rear shock.

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: R1x2 98/2k/Gp125/73a/76a/76a

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 pm

stripes1976 wrote:
Evilchicken0 wrote:Well like any engine, you can flow the head and match the intakes to the carb stubs. The camshafts could be reprofiled (Kent Cams ?). You could look for a piston kit (unlikely) or have a look at using parts from another bike and build a hybrid engine, probably with 600 parts. You can look for a free flowing air filter and bitter downpipes and maybe a can.

HMMMMM!!!! Can i please pull the chickens feathers out!!! Long time mate!!!! I think last time was bike show in london lol.

Want a mental 76a???
442cc piston kit. There is a crank aswell the gives a longer stroke. Heads respond great and you dont even need to raise rev limit to mate in excess of 80 at the rear wheel in fact power peaks very slightly lower in rev range with more torque. And yes it has been done but i'm not going to give away all my secrets.
But i personally love it as a 442cc with sp gearing and 636 front end and thou rear shock.
Hey,
What about one secret then....which crank for the longer stroke Stripes??
Andy :grin: