GK76A Running the sp carbs and ecu possible ?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
rvf400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: ducati 998 suzuki Gsxr 400

Post by rvf400 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Im racing a GK76a non sp type.
There is a few sp carbs and ecu's with wiring harnesses kicking around.
Has anybody converted from the standard carbs to the SP flat sides before and if so is it worth it ?

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: R1x2 98/2k/Gp125/73a/76a/76a
Re: GK76A Running the sp carbs and ecu possible ?

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:58 am

Hey,
Sp gixers dont run flatslides there on cv`s the same as standard just the 1 mill bigger and TPS.....not really any gains to be had in my opinion but that`s just me though. VVS would be able to give you more of an insight.............
Andy :grin:

morris147
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by morris147 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I was planning on getting some FCR33's but the cost was far too much. Are you running a tuned motor?

rgvsp
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RGV250SP (VJ23) GSX-R400R

Post by rgvsp » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm actually doing this conversion to mine over the winter. Remember you need manifold intake rubbers from an SP as the SP carbs are larger. Intake cam is different as well.

Having said that, I've read that anyone serious about more power/racing would go with the FCR's.

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:05 pm

As said the sp uses cv's.
fitting the sp parts will give tps and a pressure sensor on the airbox that vents the carb float bowl at open throttle, don't see the benefits for racing as you never drop below 10000rpm.
Jay in the US and Gary in Canada both used FCR's and got around 5hp lift, i think most of this is down to dumping the stock airbox and the yohsi f3 bikes used cv's with heat cover's to keep the hot engine away frm the air supply. I've proven this on my Bandit4 as removing the airbox lid gave 4hp on the dyno, the SV guys lift the tanks up to allow more air in.
Basically Suzuki use airboxs with rear intakes that are a little restricted in race trim, they stuck with horizontal intakes when everyone else changed.

rvf400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: ducati 998 suzuki Gsxr 400

Post by rvf400 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks for the replys guys.
Allways good to ask before spending money in the wrong places.
The motor is stock just had a few things done.
Stsyem and race pipe.
Bigger K&N from SV650
And the carbs dialed in to match
Ended up with a good 63bhp.
Spoke to the local tuning God and he is looking into sorting me a set of high lift cams, gas flowing and porting and some other stuff that sounds costly :)
We are aiming at 75Bhp but it has to remain strong as the isle of man takes no prisoners.
As for flat sides Im aware of there cost but if it has to be done I will have just save up and give up smoking :)
I have a race page on face bollox if you wana see what I have been doing.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamDeathCharge?ref=hl

:rocks:

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: R1x2 98/2k/Gp125/73a/76a/76a

Post by Andy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:13 pm

morris147 wrote:I was planning on getting some FCR33's but the cost was far too much. Are you running a tuned motor?
Hey,
I`m running vm29 flatslides bored to 33mm(outer cases),also re spaced them accordingly and had them anodised black.
Cylinder head is having new seats inlet/exhaust,used valves out the massive selection i now have(not quite sure where they all come from though!) and cleaned up standard ports. Full system that is approx 5mm bigger (bore size) and two can`s(2.5 in short carbon) with equal length pipes which makes them odd looking to say the least but hey ho....
Standard size bores on this set of cases and sp box(got two now...),stock balanced crank/rods/piston`s/clutch,standard cams and squish set right(head milled).
Airbox will eventually be the underside of the tank and ramair but for the moment i will run rampipes and simple sock filters.Gsxr 1100n Dyna ignition and retain the generator on this build......

Andy :grin:

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Not too hard to get mid 60hp out of the motor but higher hp is tricky.
They are a little weak in the conrods and prone to valve float if you over rev them, think its due to the super thin valve used on the 76 but ive had the cam tensioner back off so run a manual one from a srad 650 to stop this.