GK76A Coming out of retirement

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
DrDomRob
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GPX750R, GSXR400, R1
GK76A Coming out of retirement

Post by DrDomRob » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was a member of the old forum a few years ago, just prior to highsiding my Gixxer at about 5 miles an hour!! I've decided to pull the bike out of storage since my R1 is starting to take liberties with my licence.

It has been in storage since about January 2007 coming out every now and again to check she still starts... which I'm happy to report she does :) However having started it up today it refused point blank to come off the choke. If I keep the revs up using the throttle its fine, but it just will not idle. Also it will not rev past 12500 rpm. I don't remember having these problems before my crash, in fact prior to the crash it refused to idle below 3k!!! The fuel in the tank is the same as when it went away so I'm wondering whether it has anything to do with that?

Also, I have noticed that on the right hand break disc there is a lot of fluid, it looks a bit like oil and am worried that it is brake fluid, I had the hoses replaced and the breaks overhauled in the October before my crash, so have had about ~1000 miles of use since. I'm guessing it's going to be leaky seals from the calipers?

I have also noticed that the clutch seems to be very heavy, much heavier than I remember and significantly heavier than that on my R1. Is this normal or a result of sitting around for so long?

I seem to remember people were fairly knowledgable about the carbs on the old forum adn was wondering whether any of these guys were still about, since I reckon my engine problems are carb related.

I was also wondering how I can find out exactly what model the bike is? I have the engine and frame numbers (I don't want to post them for obvious reasons).

Dom

mattley87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: GK76A Coming out of retirement

Post by mattley87 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Deffo need to change the fuel, then at least clean the carbs, or overhall them.
http://tonysleep.co.uk/gsxr400carbs should help some.
The oil on the discs is probably fork oil, pump them up and down a bit and see if there's oil around the dust seals.
Clutch is probably just stiff through lack of use and probably heavier than an R1's anywho, WD40 the cable and change the oil and run the bike for a bit, if it isn't looser then, either it's supposed to be that way (hard to say without fondling it myself) or the plates need changing.
There is a website with frame numbers to years built on it, but can't find it at the mo.
Hope this helps.

DrDomRob
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GPX750R, GSXR400, R1

Post by DrDomRob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks for that, have to crack on with the syphoning first then!!!!

mattley87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by mattley87 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:54 pm

No no no....nasty fuel taste in mouth.
Taking the tank off is waaaaaaaaaaayyyy easier.
Then either open the fuel cap and tip it out or take the fuel tap off completly to get everything and the flaky paint crap out.
Where are you btw, someone local may be able to help out if you have problems/ not mechanically comfortable.
Cheers
Matt