NO THERMOSTAT IN BIKE!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
vodkalex
Settled in member
Reactions:
NO THERMOSTAT IN BIKE!

Post by vodkalex » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 am

Just finally managed to start workin on my ZXR400 H2, and was worried about possible head gasket issues, as i had cooling probs ie dumping coolant and overheating, but got down to the thermostat housing, and thats where the leak was and found that there was no thermostat in there. Have ordered one, but looks like it needs an O-ring, but its not listed on the microfiche, anyone know about this?

Alex :evil:

zimm
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: some ZXR400's, ty175, mz ts125
Re: NO THERMOSTAT IN BIKE!

Post by zimm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:00 pm

no idea about the O-ring, but if its over heating with no thermostat fitted, and the thermostat housing is leaking its almost 100% that the head-gasket has blown, and the previous owner has tried to mask this by removing the thermostat.

my H1 was the same.. it still doesnt have a thermostat, and runs so cold once under way that the needle drops off the bottom of the gauge.

vodkalex
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by vodkalex » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

Ah, damn. The oil in is still a normal colour, and doesnt seem to have frothed up (which i hear happens when head gasket are blown) But should i just take the head cover off and replace the gasket anyway? The tube from the thermostat was not on properly which seemed to be drawing air in.

zimm
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: some ZXR400's, ty175, mz ts125

Post by zimm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:11 pm

they are known for HG failure every 20k or so ..

ive had 3 go without causing emulsification in the sump, and 2 that did but didn't cause overheating.. guess it depends which bit of the gasket fails..

if you can do the work yourself, its a £12 gasket, some silicon sealant and a day in the garage.. only tricky bit is slipping the block back over the pistons without snagging a ring.

if you have a couple of spare head bolts cut the heads off them, insert them into the cases and use them as guides to keep the block straight, manual says do 1 + 4 first then 2 + 3.. i find it easier the other way round .. once its on (dont bother with a base gasket, clean the surfaces and seal with a smear of silicon gasket) just unscrew the cut down head bolts, and fit the head.

can be done with the engine in the frame if you need to, but its a little more fiddly

vodkalex
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by vodkalex » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:38 pm

Cheers Zimm, Helpful as ever. Any ideas of a decent step by step of getting down to the gasket. Have got the H1 manual. :?