ZXR400 vs. RVF & VFR

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
g-force performance
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VTR-250, VFR400RR,
ZXR400 vs. RVF & VFR

Post by g-force performance » Sun May 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi all:

Those who also lurk the V4 section will know me. Otherwise, I am a stranger to ZXR territory. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I am researching something for a new project I am working on. Has anyone on this list ridden a ZXR400 and a VFR400RR and/or RVF400R. I am looking for as many opinions as possible on the difference in the chassis.

1. How many people think the ZXR is better, or the VFR, or the RVF?
2. Why?
3. What was the steering like? Stable? Twitchy? Hard? Easy?
4. What was the ground clearance like?
5. What about the size? Is the ZXR chassis bigger, wider, taller, longer?

I can use just about any chassis I want. My preference is the VFR/RVF because we love the handling of these bikes, and....we have a million of them (ok, only about 20). However...I am now working for Kawasaki. So, it sounds like the powers-that-be seem to have "hinted" that it would be less "conflict-of-interest" if I were wroking on a Kawasaki product. (ugh! Politics)

Cheers,

Mike Norman
G-Force Engine Development
http://www.mngforce.com

mrdidlydingo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29, 30, 35, RDLC, GSXR
Re: ZXR400 vs. RVF & VFR

Post by mrdidlydingo » Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 pm

g-force performance wrote: I am researching something for a new project I am working on. Has anyone on this list ridden a ZXR400 and a VFR400RR and/or RVF400R. I am looking for as many opinions as possible on the difference in the chassis.

1. How many people think the ZXR is better, or the VFR, or the RVF?
2. Why?
3. What was the steering like? Stable? Twitchy? Hard? Easy?
4. What was the ground clearance like?
5. What about the size? Is the ZXR chassis bigger, wider, taller, longer?

I own/ride both so for what its worth here's my opinion !

1. ??? Personal preference there both very good !
2. It isn't a case of better or worse to me both 400's but different animals, the VFR more forgiving and more supple, easier on you should you f**k it up and need to reposition mid corner, the ZXR requires more focus and you need to get things right its more of a boys toy than the NC30, its crashier (if there is such a word) feels like it belongs on the track and is good once you put it there. The ZXR will twitch if your pushing it but I don't run a steering damper lots of people do.
3. The ZXR 'feels' heavier but you need less input/movement to turn it in, the vfr is typical Honda - compliant and light
4. Never decked the ZXR, the VFR undercarriage has had 2 attempts at killing me admittedly 1 of those was 2 up !
5. The ZXR is all round larger and more bum up nose down riding position, feels much more like a bigger bike.

For reference
Both bikes run std forks with upgraded internals
ZXR has a ZX6R rear shock fitted & fireblade calipers
Both bikes fitted with aftermarket rearsets

g-force performance
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by g-force performance » Mon May 04, 2009 12:25 am

Cheers mate.

~Mike Norman

zimm
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: some ZXR400's, ty175, mz ts125

Post by zimm » Mon May 04, 2009 3:41 am

ive had loads of zxr's .. not much honda experience though,

they are physically bigger than the nc30 (but still not big, im a short arse and manage fine), but there's as much difference between early and late models as between marque's

early (H model) zxr's are a longer reach to the bars, narrower tank, very forgiving chassis, more "oldskool", (closer in feel to the NC's) while later bikes (L model) are shorter, more modern, bit lighter, very frontend orientated "feel" to the bike

rear suspension is nearly always harsh and crude, partly the fault of the linkage, partly the rubbish, crudely damped shock, and partly the fact its sprung with pillions in mind. An early linkage (there were 3) and a decent shock helps, as does setting the ride height correctly

forks can be great, sp models have full 3 way adjustability

i prefer the softer feel of the H models, (although they are a little bit heavier.. H1's in particular have very heavy swingarms.. ) hence my racebike is an H1, my roadbike though is a zx6r engined L model..

g-force performance
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by g-force performance » Tue May 05, 2009 4:31 am

zimm wrote:... my roadbike though is a zx6r engined L model..
Really! How well did the engine fit in the chassis?

Mike Norman

mrdidlydingo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29, 30, 35, RDLC, GSXR

Post by mrdidlydingo » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 am

Sorry Mike forgot to mention mine is a late model L ZXR,

Re fitting a ZX6r motor to ZXR, I happen to know a little about this - The engine top mounts need moving back and down a little way and re welding, there is some material to be removed at the inside front and on the rear mounts and that's pretty much the size of it the two engines are similar in size and weight so it suits the bike quite well.

zimm
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: some ZXR400's, ty175, mz ts125

Post by zimm » Wed May 06, 2009 6:52 pm

g-force performance wrote:
zimm wrote:... my roadbike though is a zx6r engined L model..
Really! How well did the engine fit in the chassis?

Mike Norman

they fit, but there's many ways to skin a cat..

mine has all new rear engine mounts (upper and lower), and the front mounts have been cut off and relocated further back, also the coil mounts have been removed to aid spark plug access, getting the cam cover off is an engine half out job though.

this works, but IMO the engine could do with being slightly higher and further back in the frame.. this can be done but you have to shave some material out of the main frame spars. Oh all the baffling on the camchain tunnel needs cutting off the engine too

that all being said, it rides great.. well it did before the (badly refreshed) engine ate most of its valves.. its been waiting for me to put it back together for over a year now :(

my engine is from an early F model zx6r, but they dont vary much right upto 2001 (ish), so a fuel injected 636 would go in just as "easily"

not the best pic, but you get the idea

simmo
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30 road & zxr400 race

Post by simmo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:52 pm

i have a zxr400l race bike and a vfr400 road bike, i also rode a rvf400 race bike last year.

i prefer the honda's the standard honda brakes are loads better, and the slipper clutch in the honda actually works unlike the kawasaki, which just locks the back wheel up.
they both handle very well, I cant tell much difference anyway.

its also easier to get more power from the zxr

but if i had had known more about the kawasaki at the time, i would have bought my own rvf race bike, not a zxr400 race bike.

not saying i dont like the zxr, i just prefer the vfr/rvf