new ZXR owner advice needed. please help

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
justdan
Settled in member
Reactions:
new ZXR owner advice needed. please help

Post by justdan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi guys,

I know I should post this in the kawasaki section, which I did but I really need so advice and I am really worried and concerned because of the bad experience 1 year ago when I bought a zxr and only had it for 48 hours because I didn't know better and it turned out to be a dog so I sold it 1/2 the price I paid in 48 hrs. So, I just want to see if it happens again to me with this ZXR.

I only have the bike for over a week and something unusual happened today on my way to work and I really need some advice and see if it was me or the bike having problem.

Ok, I love the bike and it a very clean and well looked after bike and everything was perfect but today something unusual happened.

I notice the the idle rpm was lower then the usual 1500rmp (just under 1000rmp) as a result I stall the bike 3 times getting off the traffic and I also notice the temp level only at the 1/4 level throughout the trip even when I was filtering the slowly, usually it is at the 1/2 level.

I am worried! I know lower temp is good for the engine but the unusual low idle rmp and low temp make me feel the bike having problem.

Can you guys advise on this please. It is very cold today and I didn't warm the bike up before my ride (only about 45 seconds) could that be the reason?

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 94 Fzr 400 3TJ ZXR400 Racer
Re: new ZXR owner advice needed. please help

Post by ChowderV4 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 pm

the cold could have something to do with the temperature, is the bike spluttering or missfiring at all? have you checked the balancer pipes at the back of the inlets in the head, my idle started going a bit all over the place because one was split.

justdan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by justdan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:52 am

Ok, thise morning when I go home from work, I warmed up the bike for about 5-10 mins and the idle rmp still at just under 1000rmp, the temp still cold but I guess that is because of the weather.

There's nothing seem wrong about the idle rmp because when I stopped at the traffic light, it didn't cut out or anything just very quiet not like it used to be when it is at 1500rmp when idle, so the question is should I be worried? but clearly something make the idle rmp dropped either it is a bike problem or the colder weather, I don't know.

Any idea? what is you idle zxr400 rmp?

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:24 am

You can get a manual from zxr400 world, probably a down load, that should have set up information

veefa
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30

Post by veefa » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:09 am

Simple things first. Check fuel-?has it been sitting for a while.

ChowderV4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 94 Fzr 400 3TJ ZXR400 Racer

Post by ChowderV4 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:54 pm

standard idle is around 1250rpm i reckon

justdan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by justdan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:47 pm

So, everything seems to bad to normal today as today is warmer. although I did played with the idle cable but it was too high to about 2000rmp when in idle so I think if I didn't touch it would have been in the normal level and the temp also back to what it used to be.

Can it really be a the weather? I can't believe the cold weather makes the bike react so differently, well I guess maybe because it is a old cabr bike not fuel injection and weather affect it more.

thanks for the replies.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:51 pm

This bike is new to you so it might need a bit of servicing

justdan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by justdan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Ok the idle seems going up and down in the last few days and I believe it is due to the weather. on the day time the idle seems higher and lower in the night time and I was advised that the Fuel system treatment will help especially during the winter months.

anyone tried?