110mph restriction issue

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Joezxr
Settled in member
Reactions:
110mph restriction issue

Post by Joezxr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:17 am

hello, i own a 1992 zxr 400L model and im having a few problems with the top speed brick walling at 110mph

iv looked around lots of forums and i know about all the restrictions but my problem doesnt really match any of the restrictions that i have been told it could be.

basically my bike revs to 14k in every gear and absolutely flies to 110mph but then stops and is trying to pull further buy really struggles as if its being held back, i have a yoshimura exhaust silencer with the normal manifold but with no restriction plates on the manifold, i have english mph clocks and an UK blue sticker "M" CDI.

i have replaced and maintained everything on my bike that could be effecting this problem but i cannot figure out what is wrong, i have changed all the spark plugs, checked all the HT leads, cleaned my carbs, sealed my airbox and inlet rubbers, replaced all of my fuel lines and made sure they are all clear and my carbs are set to 2 1/4 turns out each, i balanced them the other day and my airbox snorkel/hole bit currently is half taped over to balance out the mixture of air and fuel.

like i said this current set up runs great, the whole rev range is smooth as anything and the plugs are a lovley coffee brown colour! the confusing part is i have had 130mph out of the bike previoulsy with the same engine but im beggining to believe the clocks were lying and i was just sat at 110mph the whole time! the previous owner of the bike who is a friend of mine also said he had around 140mph out of the SP engine he used to have in the bike but also came across this problem eventually and cant remember how he fixed it.

i would just like some advice on what it could possibly be? i have no more ideas... :(

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: 110mph restriction issue

Post by CMSMJ1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 pm

|Jap bikes have a restriction to 112mph (180kmh)

Feck knows where the restriction is on the ZXR... without getting you to do top speed runs on the HM the Queen's highway it is hard to find it out eh?

I'd guess that the CDI is taking a signal from the clocks - so try unplugging the clocks/speedo drive. then test it ona private road with an assistant..or see if it revs out.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Unless you're on the race track why is it an issue?
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:24 am

It's something to do with the pink wire in the speedo, it either needs grounding or a resister putting in it.
For track use only,,,,,,,, :whistle: