Valve clearance shims - OEM is best? Alternatives?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
kagari15
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 3EN1
Valve clearance shims - OEM is best? Alternatives?

Post by kagari15 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:06 pm

After another hiatus...I'm back. Finally cobbled up some funds to do some work on my FZR. Just bought the oil filter for it earlier...

So I know I need the valve clearances set right, but asking the only sportbike/big bike Yamaha dealer (RevZone) they said it will take *more than two months :whistle: to order from Japan or Indonesia, where ever they make them nowadays. No stock in the entire country somehow!

Could shims from other brand of bike (say Honda or Kawasaki) would be usable, or from desperation, order shims from China? Or wait for the 2+ months and discover I need more shims to get the clearances right? Would hate sanding them down, but if it has to happen then it must. Any thoughts?

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: Valve clearance shims - OEM is best? Alternatives?

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:28 pm

There are, as far as I know, a couple of sizes of shims and I would reckon you could get a bag full of spare shims from a breakers and that would do the job.

Edit to add - by sizes, I mean diameters. There are obviously multiple heights of them.
Have you measured your clearances yet? You may find you don't need many, or indeed, any at all, as you can swap between the current ones to get everything into tolerance.

So, would surely take the measurements and see how you stand before worrying about buying any.

If you have done it, and know what sizes you need - post it up - I have a few spares and could exchange if that worked.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

kagari15
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 3EN1
Re: Valve clearance shims - OEM is best? Alternatives?

Post by kagari15 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:03 pm

CMSMJ1

Unfortunately, with the way the local "mechanics" do jobs the likelihood of getting a bag of shims is unlikely, they like to just grind or sand it down. Will try seeing some places that does have sportbike parts.

Good point on checking the clearances first. Maybe the rough running and hard starting has been caused by the igniter or the coils (spark while starting is very weak). Don't have a torque wrench at hand, won't take the cams apart this time.