I think I may have a Stator problem

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
buzzawak
Settled in member
Reactions:
I think I may have a Stator problem

Post by buzzawak » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:33 am

First up a bit of back ground.
Bike is a 89 FZR600 which has been running great, I have been riding it to work twice a week, total Km each week is 175, last time was Tuesday. Every thing on the bike works!
on the weekend I decided to update the Ignition system with the following.

Dyna Coils (Grey 2.2ohms)
NGK Spark Plug Cap SD05F-R
New leads

I did not do anything else on the bike except replace the old coils, cap and leads.
Once back together the bike started up first go and seems to run better, good idle, revs strong, everything working as before.

EXCEPT the connector between the alternator and rectifier started melting.
The rectifier and connector were upgraded last year and has been great up until now.

I am at a lost to why this would happen and what would have caused it.
I am reluctant to put the old coils back and unsure how they could be the problem
Could it just be coincidence and the rectifier has gone?
What could I be missing ? :duh:
Any help is appreciated

I have tested the stator and got the following results
I am getting 22vac -23vac between the three terminals at idle
I am getting 6ohms - 7ohms Between the three terminals
I am getting 12.3vac between each terminal and ground at idle but open circuit between each terminal and ground with the engine off.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: I think I may have a Stator problem

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:42 pm

I don't really know much about the tests on charging cicuits I usually just replace part for part.
So ... firstly the coils. Those are the Dynacoil 2.2 ohms I think, they should be Ok for the bike but go back to their websiteam and check.
The charging circuits on these are usually fine. I notice from the melted connector the wire each side look old, did the reg rec go ? If so why didn't you just replace it with a 3he type ?
I would "assume" both the alternator and reg rec are damaged and replace both although using secondhand parts will probably be Ok.