Can anyone suggest a good starting point for setting carbs?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Robotnik
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2x3tj xs650
Re: Can anyone suggest a good starting point for setting car

Post by Robotnik » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:46 pm

That extra washer would have the effect of lifting the needle by about a half a notch, I think.
It looks like a non standard mod as it isn't in the manual.

ArronA
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ArronA » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:55 am

I reckon the metal washer sits below the circlip above the plastic spacer as standard as that's how the needles come out of my carbs set as too

redbandit12
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 3EN2

Post by redbandit12 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 am

Would having the jets the wrong way round, ie larger in carbs 2 & 3 make a noticeable difference in running ?.
I have 92.5s in 2 & 3 and 90s in 1 & 4. Just presumed this was the set up when I rebuilt my carbs.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but if i put things right, while the carbs are off, where will I get pilot jets from as these have never been replaced. Size 35 (3EN2)

ArronA
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ArronA » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:07 am

redbandit12 wrote:Would having the jets the wrong way round, ie larger in carbs 2 & 3 make a noticeable difference in running ?.
I have 92.5s in 2 & 3 and 90s in 1 & 4. Just presumed this was the set up when I rebuilt my carbs.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but if i put things right, while the carbs are off, where will I get pilot jets from as these have never been replaced. Size 35 (3EN2)
On the 3TJ the larger jets go in 1&4, I'm not too sure what the case would be for the 3EN but if i had to guess i would say it would be the same, 3TJ pilot jets are 32.5, there are sellers on eBay that sell jets, search "mikuni pilot jets" i was very lucky to get mine out as the person that had the carbs apart before i owned the bike seemed not to have a clue on how to use a screwdriver properly the heads were badly chewed up

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:52 pm

I'd have thought the bigger jets go to the inner cylinders, the richer mixture cools them down. Either way the jets are used with different needles. I've heard from dyno's the different mixtures don't make any difference but be aware that those engines are most likely tuned.

Again have a look at the parts diagrams from CSNL they should list the part numbers ... the 3en1 should be the same

redbandit12
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 3EN2

Post by redbandit12 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Ye, just double checked the parts diagram and it lists 92.5s 1 & 4 and 90s 2 & 3.
Managed to get 4 pilot jets from ebay. Are there any springs/washers on these ?
Maybe the hotter cylinders need to be a bit leaner

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Pilot jets just screw in.
Maybe with the combination of jet and needle the centers a richer