Low voltage reading and dim lights ?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Low voltage reading and dim lights ?

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Just measure across the battery terminals

ArronA
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ArronA » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 pm

I think the electrics have been tampered with in the passed or something has been added as up from by the speedo there is a black box with a cable ties around it that has about 6 to 8 blue wires coming off it, i remember the guy that i got the bike off saying something about the headlight isn't standard so it could be something to do with that i don't know but the headlight wasn't dim when i first got the bike and now it is, voltage across the battery is about 11.7v and it doesn't increase to 12 odd volts until 5k rpm

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 pm

The box sounds like a m-max to remove the japanese top speed restriction. The head ligHT might have been swapped for anot her Yamaha model there's a few that will fit.

ArronA
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ArronA » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:The box sounds like a m-max to remove the japanese top speed restriction. The head ligHT might have been swapped for anot her Yamaha model there's a few that will fit.
Yep downloaded that manual and my carb settings are to a "T" of those in the manual mind you it doesn't give you a float height setting in MM neither a needle clip position, the only other things i can think of is them being out of balance as you said however i can't get 2 of the screws out off the inlets so i can wind in the pipe fittings for my CarbTune Pro, also my exup cables have frayed and birds nested and jammed up so I've taken the valve out and made a plate and bolted it over the hole, also I'm going to need to look into having the valves clearances checked and re shimmed if necessary as that's not something I'm confident with doing unfortunately :( I'll probably end up giving up with the bloody thing if something needs doing to it that i can't do lol

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:48 pm

Ahhh I see
So first go to Venhill and get and exup cable recore kit and reinstall the exup. The bike will be running lean low down in the Rev range and they're hard to retune with any success.
Do this and it should run a lot better

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Something like 60 volts AC between the phases. I would test it while it's still connected though.

ArronA
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ArronA » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:48 pm

dobbslc wrote:Something like 60 volts AC between the phases. I would test it while it's still connected though.
I don't no if I'm doing something wrong but i was only getting - 00.4 coming up on the multi meter surly that can't be right as the bike wouldn't start with that kind of voltage

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by dobbslc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Are you measuring between the yellow wires and not to ground?
Ie yellow to yellow you should get about 60 volts. Make sure your meter is set to AC!
Test three times between the different wires, if you mark them A, B, C then measure between A&B then A&C then B&C.
Might be worth checking the meter is working ok too.

ArronA
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ArronA » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 pm

dobbslc wrote:Are you measuring between the yellow wires and not to ground?
Ie yellow to yellow you should get about 60 volts. Make sure your meter is set to AC!
Test three times between the different wires, if you mark them A, B, C then measure between A&B then A&C then B&C.
Might be worth checking the meter is working ok too.
My meter does AC & DC but there is no switch that switches between the 2, yeah i did go from yellow wire to yellow wire and not yellow to ground :) i am beginning to think my meter might be at fault as I've had it years!

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by dobbslc » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:05 am

I can't ever remember seeing a meter that auto ranges between AD & DC! Might be worth a trip to Maplins / Halfords for a new one.
I'm thinking if it was stuck on dc it wouldn't read anything!