Brake caliper axle insert replacement

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:28 am

Has anyone sourced a replacement insert for the rear brake caliper mount where the axle passes through? My RRSP's unit is getting a bit beat up where it presses against the bearing / spacer depending on which wheel I'm using. None of the US parts sites recognize the PN so I'm left with finding a nice used assembly or getting that pressed in bit replaced.

PN is 3tj-25819-10 if someone wouldn't mind checking for availability in the UK... :D

DocV400
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1200 Bandit ~ NC30 ~ Italjet

Post by DocV400 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:43 am

What's that the part number for, the caliper mount assembly, or just the insert?
Doesn't come up in a search for me.

I'd take it along to a machine shop, if there's one nearby, it should be a quick and simple job for them to turn up a replacement.
Would probably work out cheaper than sourcing one here and getting it shipped over.
A Pessimist is just an Optimist, with experience.
Doc out . . .

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Brake caliper axle insert replacement

Post by Kurlon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:01 pm

That PN is for the whole mount / bracket, the insert isn't shown as a separate piece on the fiche.

Doesn't surprise me the part doesn't show up, I'm finding lots of PNs for this bike don't exist outside of a few Russian link farms. 3TJ-12481-10 is a coolant pipe, sits behind the cylinder, can't find it anywhere and mine has a pinhole leak. Bah. :D

hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by hunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:50 pm

That coolant pipe may be the same fitment as the 600.

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:33 pm

FZR400/600 use the same pipe, no forward facing nipple. YZF600R I can't quite tell from the parts fiche if it has the forward facing port, but it looks like it has a rearward facing one that make work with some creative custom hose work.

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Zombie topic revival! Ooooooh... creepy!

So, it turns out I only needed to flip back one section in the parts fiche to find part numbers for that insert:

The insert is 3TJ-25835-10, matching right side wheel spacer is 3TJ-25733-10. Neither of which is available. Bah. I did a little clean up on the face of the insert with a file, it had built up a ridge in a couple spots which ate a nice ring into the wheel spacer.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:29 pm

As said at the beginning of the thread take It to a machine shop / engineering company. Cheaper and quicker than the Yamaha part

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Quicker / Cheaper are debatable when it's a one off part that doesn't come with a full TDP to machine off of unfortunately. No one local likes doing one off parts, and I don't have my own machine shop yet due to this pesky hobby sucking up all my free cash. :D

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm

You could ask Kayla of Projection Components but that's in the UK.
Get hold of a classic / vintage bike magazine and have a look at the small ads - there will be somebody in there doing spindles etc

freefallfil
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by freefallfil » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi, to me it looks like the wheel spacer damage is old & from some time ago. Also guessing the bushing in the calliper carrier is softer material than the wheel spacer, can you acquire another wheel spacer, if so I'd replace that & give it a go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk