3TJ Timing with no rotor

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO
3TJ Timing with no rotor

Post by Drunkn Munky » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Ive come to installing the camshafts on my race motor and the manual says turn the crankshaft until the "T" mark aligns with the mark on the casings but i have no rotor on this engine so no "T" mark to align. How else can i ensure the crank is in the right position to install the cams?

I do have a BDK ignition advancer but theres no timing marks on this either

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: 3TJ Timing with no rotor

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:30 pm

That's a good one.
What about the dot on the flywheel at 11 o'clock on your picture ?

OK take the plugs out and use a pencil or long thing down the plughole of number one cylinder. And rotate the engine until no1 piston is at the top of its stroke. That's either TDC on no1 or no4. Have a look at the dot on your flywheel and see if it lines up with the crankcase joint at the front of the engine, if so its probably TDC. If it lines with the joint at the rear its TDC no4 so rotate the engine another 180 degrees
Lay the cams in and look at the lobes. Tdc is the ignition so the lobes for no1 should be pointing at each other with the cam timing marks corresponding to the dots on the journals.

Have a look at my 660 thread on the last page there's a pics of the flywheel you might be able to work out TDC from the cranks keyway

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Nice one ec thats another one I owe ya

KIYOSHI
Reactions:

Post by KIYOSHI » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 pm

If it's a race engine you are building don't trust the original timing mark or go by the guessing method of popping something down the plug hole (sorry evil).

You need a dti gauge fixed to the cylinder head or on a magnetic stand. The tip will need extending so it touches the piston crown (in the center) at what you guess should be tdc.

Then fit a degree wheel to the end of the crank with a pointer fixed to the crank cases.

Now rotate the crank backwards/forwards through tdc. You will notice a period of rest on the dti when it stops rising and falling. Take note of the degree the crank rotates through whilst this happens. The central point of this period of rotation is the exact point of tdc.

Sounds hard work but it's easy in practice and in a race engine will gain horsepower and reliability.

What's the spec on the engine? I might have a few tricks up my sleeve that will be of interest to you. We have run and tuned/setup 3tj engines at genuine 85bhp + for years so know a few helpful tips.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 pm

It is a race motor yes, SP spec, was told it puts out 72bhp but ive yet to have it running. It came to me with a stripped plug thread but whilst i had the head off i noticed the rear cam chain guide was on its last legs so had to split the cases to replace that. It runs a ram air type setup but ports are stock so weather it makes 72bhp i dont know.
Ive always fancied one of those fancy gauges to set TDC, you have any links to all the kit id need? Always interested in tips for more power.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:27 pm

I guess you could it that way :grin:

KIYOSHI
Reactions:

Post by KIYOSHI » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 pm

If the ports are untouched i can't see it doing much more than stock. I'll PM you a very good setup when I get a moment. It will require the cams dialing in and a bit if stripping/rebuilding but will give you a very strong motor with power output below 140000rpm.

You should also pre-load the valve springs by installing washers below the spring seat, keep the valve from jumping into bed with the pistons :-)

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Nice one i'll look forward to it :up:

Wraith
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Wraith » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:46 pm

When I used to ride RDs, I used to use a Dial Gauge and Spark Plug Adapter.

Setting the points via the marks were just not accurate enough.

Some people used to use a disk on the end of the crank when they converted to electronic to set it up.

Ant142
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:

Post by Ant142 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:04 am

KIYOSHI wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 pm
If the ports are untouched i can't see it doing much more than stock. I'll PM you a very good setup when I get a moment. It will require the cams dialing in and a bit if stripping/rebuilding but will give you a very strong motor with power output below 140000rpm.

You should also pre-load the valve springs by installing washers below the spring seat, keep the valve from jumping into bed with the pistons :-)
I know this is an old post but I’d be very interested in any set up advise you can send me, especially regarding cam timing. I’m a bit late to the party it just getting into racing an fzr.