Cam Timing Marks '88 1WG Genesis

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Renegade
Settled in member
Reactions:
Cam Timing Marks '88 1WG Genesis

Post by Renegade » Wed May 08, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm currently in the process of swapping a new frame onto my 1988 1WG Genesis, so i thought i'd check the cam timing to make sure it was ok as the bike currently only runs well on cylinders 1&4 - 2&3 don't run very well at all.

I lined the 'T mark up on the flywheel and the marks on the camshafts don't quite line up with the dot's on the cam caps.

Hopefully these pictures are clear enough;

Inlet

Exhaust

I didn't think it was worth worrying about, until i lined up the marks on the camshafts and realised how far out the timing mark on the flywheel was;

do you think i should be worried about this? Could this be out enough to cause cylinders 2&3 to not fire properly?

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Cam Timing Marks '88 1WG Genesis

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Hello again ...

The cam chain is probably a bit slack ... Check the tensioner is tensioning but I don't think its the reason 2 and 3 being rubbish. The carbs have to be cleaned and when it runs balance them.
2 and 3 though run off the same coil so check the low tension wires are ok, then change the coils over if 1 and 4 dont fire its the coil. You can try clipping the HT leads back and rescewing the plug caps back on.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe
Re: Cam Timing Marks '88 1WG Genesis

Post by dobbslc » Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Looking at the photos it looks like your cam timing is retarded slightly. My cam and rotor marks lined up exactly when I rebuilt my engine.
As Evil says if two cylinders are playing up its a good chance it's the coil or pick up that's gone.
Check the carb settings as well as if the idle jets or drillings are blocked it won't run well at low revs. (Cold pipes).
:rocks: