Won't start

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Mang
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR 400 RR SP
Re: Won't start

Post by Mang » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 am

For reasons I won't bore you with I had to drain the front brake.

I cannot bleed the sodding thing. I can't get fluid to run through from the master cylinder any one got any tips. I have not changed any components.

It s sunny and I want to get out on it.

freefallfil
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by freefallfil » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi - Bit of a long shot but I've always had good results using a syringe & back filling the system through the bleed nipple on the caliper up to the m/c & finish off bleeding as normal.
Fil. :grin:

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Take the calipers off
Raise them above the master and put a spanner between the pads, now try.
I leave the top off the res and squeeze the lever, usually the air comes out in the res.

Mang
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Mang » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Tried all above and still cant get the airlock out now looking towards suction.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:47 pm

I had one of those vacum things, it was good while it worked but it doesn't anymore :|

Mang
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Mang » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 pm

I bought one of these

Sealey VS020 Brake & Clutch Bleeder Vacuum Type 1ltr (271502584683)

10 mins after unpacking said item brakes were bled. Great bit of kit for £21 delivered. Just beware you need a compressor with a bit of grunt: 90psi

I still don't understand why none of my other attempts didn't work but Hey Ho at least it's working now.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:28 am

I've got some brake lines like that, you just can't get fluid in them, then when they do its a 5 minute job.

Mang
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Mang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:27 pm

For the benefit of anyone using one of these I put Plumbers PTFE tape around the bleed valve threads to ensure all the sucky sucky occurred through the bleed valve not down the side of it (pulling air from the calliper and lines not the air from out side). Worked like a dream.

Whilst I had the fairing off I changed the clock illuminator lamps. Great to be able to see the speed and revs at night. Shame the headlight stops you seeing the road. I have taken to travelling behind my mates with more modern bikes at night.

Mang
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Mang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 am

I thought it was high time I updated everyone that has helped me as to where I am with the long drawn out "Won't Start" saga.

Well the bottom line is that it will start, it looks great, goes well and handles well! Yes it was a labour of love doing the thing and it cost far more than I expected. Having said that I have to admit that I have had great fun riding it this summer (and what a summer).

I took the bike to the South West Jap BIkeFest (Haynes Motor Museum) and to my surprise won second place against some stiff competition.

I thought when I bought the bike that it would be a passing phase and the bike would probably be sold on by now. I think it’s a keeper.

What next- well hopefully trouble free riding next year. Will probably take it on holiday to the TT.

As some of you already know I am working on a drag bike as my next project which isn’t a Yamaha. Roland Jones (member here) and I intend taking a trip to Utah and the Salt flats in 2017 to see if it is possible to make a bike from 1984 achieve a reasonable speed on a surface akin to ice at nearly 5000 feet above sea level ( I couldn’t get the fuelling right a sea level on the Yam so what hope is there at Bonneville)

A big thank you to all that have helped me to get another money pit back on the road.

hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by hunter » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Always nice to have a happy ending,Glad your enjoying it.
So what's the make of drag bike,And what class are you running in.