fzr4/6 ITS A RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
cagiva996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2 FZR4/6,FZS600,YZFR1
fzr4/6 ITS A RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by cagiva996 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:57 am

JUST FIRED UP THE HYBRID THE AFTER A WEEK OF TOTAL FRUSTRATION A KNACKERED CDI UNIT AND VARIUOS OTHER HASSLES.A BIG(AND I MEAN BIG THANKS TO FZRTIM) FOR ALL HIS HELP AND GOOD ADVICE IF I GET TO MEET YOU MATE I WILL BUY YOU A LARGE DRINK :D

Motorcycle Solutions
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Kawasaki ZX9R E1
Re: fzr4/6 ITS A RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Motorcycle Solutions » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:06 pm

well done laddy!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:20 pm

It liiiives !!!!

cagiva996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cagiva996 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:01 pm

yep it breaths!!im so chuffed,its not been easy but its nearly there i just cant wait to ride it as i havnt ridden since doing rockingham 5 weeks ago.theres a few bits left to do yet,mod the 400 throttle cables as the motor and carbs sit a bit higher in the frame and the cross member sits very close to where the throttle linkeages are,the new 520 chain needs a new link,and i need a 47 tooth rear sprocket as the astralite wheels mount the sprocket differently to the standard 3tj wheel.would i do it again?well ive already started,bought an sp frame(£50) and i already had a pair of sp forks/shock/ swingarm/bodywork as track spares and also have another 600 ecu so im well on the way though this ones only for the track as i always need to replace something, tyres/pads/oil& filter every time i do one so it makes sense to have exactly the same bike for trackwork and be able to roll out the same bike for the track.costs for the conversion have been not to bad as i dont have cash to waste (wife/mortgage/3 kids) and i reckon all in its cost just under £300 all in and if i make a couple of hundred selling the sp motor/downpipes and other bits i may even break even which will keep her indoors happy!
one last thing i couldnt have done it without the help and wisdom of a couple of forum members especially fzrtim so thanks lads-anybody want some sp spares :lol:

fzr6
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by fzr6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:10 am

good work. 8-)

anybody thought of doing a full write up of the conversion?

did you fit the 600 loom or modify your 400 one?

Marb
Thieving Pikey Twat
Thieving Pikey Twat
Reactions:

Post by Marb » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 am

With the non-3TJ FZR400 models its a pretty straight forward swap requiring no plates and other stuff. I have noticed that the 3HE and 3EN2 loom's are quite different. CDI plugs dont match, speedo plugs dont match. But seeing as i will be swapping those anyways it nog biggy!

But congrats on getting her running! Its an awesome feeling. Can't wait to get my 600 running, atm she's in 1000 bits, wainting for 1000 bits :(

cagiva996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cagiva996 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:29 am

i think a comprehensive guide to the swaps a good idea for future hybrid builders to avoid the headscratching i had,but there again i did learn a hell of alot about both bikes.alot of info came from some very kind/clever members of this forum and i have enjoyed it.i used the 400 loom and soldered the 600 ecu blocks into the 400 loom as i didnt want to have to change the 400 clocks etc and once i knew where the wiers went it was quite staght forward.

fzr6
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by fzr6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:52 pm

Nice 8-)

do you have the info about what goes where from the 400 loom to the 600 ecu block?
and are you happy to share?
I've got this penciled in as something for the future. Did you use a foxeye or the thundercat as the donor engine?
cheers

fzrtim
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 FZRhybrid FZR600 RSV1k

Post by fzrtim » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 am

Nice one. Its so rewarding when it finally fires up. It was 11.30 at night with no headers on when i got mine to fire, i knew id be popular with the nieghbours but i was too chuffed to care!
Did you have the same problem with the tacho?
I did the PB90s trackday last week on mine and finally have got the gearing right. The gear ratio in the engine are different to the 400 engine. With a 520 chain the 400 should run 15/45 sprockets but by my calculations for the 600 it needs a 14 front. But if you are using a 47 rear it may be about right. Worked well at Cadwell. Less could be said for the new clutch plates i fitted which slipped all day then expired in the last session! Oh and i had a very brown moment when the rear caliper swingarm bolt vibrated out and lost the back brake (it spun round and snapped the hose) at about 150mph braking for park bend. I was so glad i went straight on to the grass when i pulled up and saw the brake fluid all over my tyre! :shock:

cagiva996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cagiva996 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:59 am

i had exactly the same thing happen with my rear caliper in my first session of the day at rockingam last october.missed 3 sessions til my mate crashed his laverda formula and i pinched his brake hose and managed to get back out again-i always check this bolt now!