Six Hundred and Sixty

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Six Hundred and Sixty

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:40 pm

The seals are Ok, it's the spacer for the flywheel that's the sticking point. At the end of the article the bike shears the flywheel

barryfzr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by barryfzr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:19 pm

a bit of digging and this seal "should" do the trick (no guarantees...just did some sleuthing)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... PfarPlgMgC

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:19 am

Nice ... Close but no cigar :grin:
The seal has a locating lip on the outside but I had a few made up

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:58 pm

Loving the build, will be something special.
Regarding the flywheel is the sleeve to space the flywheel out from the casing, is it a larger taper needed or different angle of taper.
I ask as couldn't you use a different taper, possibly the gsxr1000 that Mike at gforce used.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:12 pm

Yes the sleeve was to space the T'cat flywheel away from the cases. It has the same taper inside and out with a slot for the woodruff key

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Variablevalves suck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Ye thought that was the work around.
Have you run it that way yet, what do you think the chances are of it holding up.
Ive fitted the gsxr1000 wheel to my gsxr4, that's involved altering the taper in the wheel (regrind) and using a katana 400 side case that has had a new end plate machined to hold the Genny that used to fit under the wheel on the main cases.
I feel your pain, the complexity of the work around can be tiring and a small thing can take months.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:53 am

It's the first engine I've built from scratch and to be honest I'm a bit scared to try it. I think I want somebody to go through it first. I didn't change the the crank shells. They'll probably be Ok but .. well its something to worry about.
I think the flywheel will be Ok the bolt tourqued up Ok and the woodruff key will stop it slipping. There's nothing touching it so theres no drag other than its own inertia. The problem is you have to add about 1mm of material rather than take it away.

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Variablevalves suck » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:35 am

That key holds nothing mate, they are purely for position, if it goes it goes.Doh!

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:07 pm

Ok .... well fingers crossed then. :pray:

hodgeiom
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by hodgeiom » Sun May 17, 2015 6:03 pm

this is a great post about the 660 conversion,i can add some of my own findings,the liped crank seal is not necessary,i have used a normal type seal with no problems,i also mounted a trigger wheel to the back of the 3he flywheel to get around stock ignition type pickup,but im also running an after market ignition system with fuel injection,also the fzs 5dm conrods are about 1mm longer than the fzr 3he ones,i had to use the conrod bolts upside down to clear the bottom crankcase,also had to grind a bit out of the 4jh cases on the lefthand side,for crankshaft clearance,im running a low compression motor,with 4tv pistons,3mm copper head gasket,to get around yamahas poor gearbox ,pressed on 2nd gear,i had three pegs made to lock the gear to the shaft,this worked ok but the gear kept breaking so i managed to squeeze a honda cbr 600 f3 gearbox in the yamaha cases,this engine has been dynoed at 316hp with turbo so i can say that yamaha crankshafts are well over enginered for the stock 80ish hp