Six Hundred and Sixty

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Six Hundred and Sixty

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm talking to BDK to get the flywheel done, as this and the crank seal are the only real stumbling blocks for the conversion.
If I can sort this out then you guys could go to them and get a flywheel (I probably won't have any prices until after the build) it will strenghten my bargaining position if I can mention repeat work.

Early days I know but could there be any interest in this

Alex.
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Alex. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:44 pm

I'd certainly be interested in something that would bolt on to the end of the 3HE crank and have the timing triggers that are compatible with the 4JH!

As long as it is not toooo expensive...

Alex.

Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1

Post by Maelstrom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm sure BDK would see the potential value in it. It would not be that much of a headache for those guys and would add another string to their bow, so to speak. This is going to be a punchy '400' EC, and it makes for interesting reading.
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Ok - ran it past them and they're interested so fingers crossed it won't be to much.
I've just sent them a 3HE from Das Bay

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:56 pm

Ok - more help from Ronaldo and we Yamabonded the cases and got them together before he had to split. I torqued the bolts (after I found them). Got the oil pump, starter clutch, and clutch in - I need to torque a few nuts up. I started to clean the sump gasket off.
Last lesson on Thursday. I'll get as much done as possible before getting cab back to my garage.

I have to say though, if you're a bit iffy on mechanicals go to college.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Well - last evening at college.
I had to write up the practicle assessments so I was up until 1:30 last night, got it done though. So onto the engine then.

Got the clutch in

And then put the pistons on .... lost a circlip it fired off somewhere

Then with a lot of jiggling and more than an extra pair of hands we got the pistons in the barrels. I initially got the wobbly oil ring overlapped so it kept binding on the back of the barrel.

I placed the head on it just to see :o :grin: I still need to get the valves in and shim up the cams but yeah wer're really getting somewhere.

Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1

Post by Maelstrom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:44 am

Oh man that 'ting' as a piston circlip fires off into the void. I must have heard that too many times. I only managed to drop one into the cases once. Thereafter I always blocked all the holes first. Most of my time has been on Ducatis and you get spoilt having to just drop one cylinder at a time. Lucky I never had to do a Honda 6 :grin:
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

Alex.
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Alex. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:39 am

Looking good Evil!

I picked up a 3HE bottom end from the bay this week, for only £35! Now all I need are the gaskets and modified flywheel. For once, I can't wait for winter!! :o

Alex.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 am

Seeing as I was doing mine all propper and all I used new rings and new cam chain. I got a Yam head gasket because I didn't believe the pattern one was just a profiled bit - I expected copper or soft metal rings around the cylinders, but they look the same :o That head gasket cost more than I paid for the pattern set (gotta love the bay sometimes) the valve stem seals look the same too.

The only drawback to not being at college is my lack of tools, I'll need to get a valve spring compressor to finsh the job. I need to go back to the college just to check I haven't forgotten anything though.

Alex.
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Alex. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am

So in your opinion, is the gasket set from ebay suitable for the rebuild? Do you have a link to the auction?

I probably would not be going as far as you have, I'll reuse the rings as nothing is wrong and I'm just dismanteling and reassembling, although that may change once things are apart. I'll also leave the head alone!

What other tools are you in need of? I have a spring compressor that you can borrow, I know it will work as I have just torn apart a damaged 3TJ head. :grin:

Alex.