Six Hundred and Sixty

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Six Hundred and Sixty

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Apart from the mounting and triggers are the two flywheels the same ???
That's to say I could use the 4JH stator and pickup with the modded 3tj flywheel.

This sounds good.

Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1

Post by Maelstrom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 am

The plot thickens
Welding new triggers on will work as will replacing the flywheel centre. I would go with the first option to avoid the possibility of the rivets being incorrectly fitted or machining errors on the new centre. Avoid any spacers or adapters. The flywheel is a big hunk of metal spinning up to 13000 rpm or so. Its diameter will magnify even the slightest machining error. Last, but not least, have the flywheel rebalanced.
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by hunter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Ok got some pics for you,

The first pic is of 3he rotor,
The second pic is 4jh rotor.

You could remove the centre from the 3he,and fit it to the 4jh rotor.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 pm

That sounds good :grin:

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Right then.
Movement ... forwards movement too.
I've sent a 4JH + 3HE flywheel to BDK for some engineering action.

The crank oil seal
The 4JH has a locating lip on it but the internal dia is to large. The 3HE seal's outside dia is too small. Ronaldo at college made the observation that the 3HE seal nearlt fit's inside the 4JH one ... and you what it nearlt does :o
So, given neither of them can be used and time is pressing he persudaded me to give in a whirl. We took the 4JH spring out then used a vice and pressed them together, it took the rubber face off the outside of the 3HE but they were there. We cut the excess of 4JH and offered them up. The back of the 3HE overhung the 4JH locating lip ... so Ronaldo filed it down. It aint pretty but it looks like a useable seal :grin:
Image Image

We got the rods on too, cleaned the cases mating surfaces and dropped them together. They actually fit quite easily, much better than the college engines.

Image Image

I'm away if Belgium / France over the weekend so the next instalment will in a weeks time.

Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1
Seal Worries

Post by Maelstrom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:56 am

Coming along nicely EC.
Now about your FrankenSeal. You know it is up to us your beloved followers to ensure quality control. :grin:
I think it was Hunter that said a 24x40x8 seal is what you needed? Is that incorrect or could you not acquire one?
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:34 am

I'm sure he's right but there's a locating lip on the 4JH seal and as neither could be used and they were there we thought we'd give it a go. I measured up the seals so I can post up a drawing later down the line ... or order the propper seal when this one fails :( I have very little time left at college so needs must when the devil drives

Dark Coke
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Dark Coke » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:47 am

Hi there
This sounds quite interesting, but due to my trouble understanding mainly technical english, and english in general :grin: i think i did not figured out exactly what you want to do.
You want to do a 660ccm conversion with an 3HE cylinder, 3HE pistons, FZ6 crankshaft and piston rods and 4JH TCI and electrics?
I think I can remember such a conversion in our german FZR forum, but i don't know what the real effort in the end was.
Greetings from Germany and congratulations on your wedding :mrgreen:
Marcel

Alex.
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Alex. » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Marcel,

The original conversion was to use a 3HE engine with 4JH pistons and cylinder block, but this used 3HE electrics and needed a spacer gasket under the cylinder block to account for the length of the 3HE con rods.

The conversion that Boris is attempting and that I will be doing this winter, is to start with a 4JH engine and swap out the crankshaft from a 3HE and the con rods from the FZS600 fazer, the FZS rods are the right length so there is no need for the spacer gasket. As the crankshaft has the 3HE flywheel and trigger points, the challenge is to change the flywheel to one that mimics the 4JH and will let us use the complete 4JH electrics.

This should give 660cc and about 15-20bhp extra! Lots more torque too... :grin:

Alex.

Dark Coke
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Dark Coke » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:12 am

Nice 8-)
Please update us on the effects :twisted: