3en2 wheel bearings

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
bobthemorris
Settled in member
Reactions:
3en2 wheel bearings

Post by bobthemorris » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi all,

I need to replace the front wheel bearings on my 3en2 - can anyone tell me how to remove the old bearings?

There is no way to drift out the bearings, can they be pressed out from one side?

On one side there are two cutouts in the wheel on opposite diameters of the bearings. Are these to 'grab' the bearing using a puller?

Thanks in advance!

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: 3en2 wheel bearings

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Nothing so subtle as grabbing ... use a drift and a lump hammer. It will help if you warm the wheel up with a blow tourch first. Drift them out evenly ... that is hit them at 12, 6, 3 and 9 o'clock in sequence.
Put everything from the strip down onto the wheel spindle as you go then you'll know the order they go back in.
put the new bearings in the freezer overnigh before fitting and drift them into the wheel using a piece of wood (again use the clock face sequence) or a similar sized socket.

Remeber the tube in between the bearings

bobthemorris
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bobthemorris » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Done it! Thanks Evilchicken - I did just need to drift them out - but it's not quite that straightforward.

The spacer tube is the exact same size internal diameter as the bearings - so difficult to get a drift onto either of the bearings. I found that the internal hole in the wheel is cone shaped with a larger diameter on the left side of the wheel. The spacer tube can therefore be manoeuvred with persuasion away from the centre of the left hand bearing.

Then you can remove the left bearing with a drift, then the spacer tube, then remove the right bearing.

Hopefully this might help someone else!

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Cool ... but you hit , right ???