FZR400 - It did run now it won't start -Nearly fixed-

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2tk,NC30, YB7
FZR400 - It did run now it won't start -Nearly fixed-

Post by laminator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:57 pm

I've read through most of the posts in the workshop about starting problems and tried to start my bike but no joy.

I've got an '88 FZR400 engined bike that I bought a couple of weeks ago. It started fine when I checked it out and was started with no problems through the first week, although only stationary. I rode it last weekend, all of 5 miles, with no worries. Yesterday I went to go for a run and it wouldn't start. When I sat the bike up, fuel started pi**ing out onto the floor. I removed the tank cover and lifted the tank to find this -

New fuel hoses and clips fitted, connected the tank, and tried to start it again. No joy not even a cough.

I pulled the hose off the carbs from the fuel pump then switched on the ignition. The pump started working and fuel flowed into a bottle at a reasonable rate. Connected the hose back onto the carbs and switched the ignition on again. The pump ticked for a while then stopped, as I expected, when it got to pressure.

I then removed the airbox to have a look into the carbs, etc. Nothing seems wrong from first inspections. Choke and throttle operating correctly. although saying this I don't have much experience with bike carbs.

I managed to get a plug out. It seemed in OK condition and appeared wet. This was not as easy as it sounds.

I checked the spark and there is one, but didn't seem too strong.

I checked the exup valve and it's slightly out of line. I tried adjusting it as much as I can but cable 2 has some slack I can't adjust out and the alignment marks are still slightly out although better.

I plan on going out to get some easy start and try that, squirting it in the carbs, just to check. Also, I'll order some new plugs and wait for them to arrive.

Any other forum suggestions from you knowledgeable guys.

I initially thought it was a fueling problem, as the initial fault was the fuel line. I'm starting to suspect the ignition system now. BTW, I expected to have to fix some problems on the bike as it's 22 years old, so it's not a problem, just a set back. :grin:

Cheers

edit - title changed
Last edited by laminator on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: FZR400 - It did run now it won't start -Fixed-

Post by laminator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Got back from Halfords with some easystart, quick spray in the carbs, pushed the button, and she fired up!

Result.

Tank back on, connected the hoses and it runs. I'm going to re-assemble and see about a spin out on it. I'm hoping it just needed a helping hand to get going :pray:

Hopefully I'll make it back!

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.....

hipringle
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 954 blade,

Post by hipringle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Is it still starting ok now?

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by laminator » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 pm

hipringle wrote:Is it still starting ok now?

Hi, well I made it out and back with no worries. I've tried starting it since but it won't catch without a squirt of easystart. I've ordered some plugs and they should arrive Tues. BTW, I looked around for plugs and found that there's a company on Amazon selling them for about £5 each which is cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

I'm going to have a look at it and a bit of a clean this weekend. Depending on the weather I'll go for a longer run and see what happens. I'll probably drop the oil and do a filter change as I've got the a filter and some nice oil.

hipringle
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 954 blade,
Re: FZR400 - It did run now it won't start -Nearly fixed-

Post by hipringle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 am

Age old problem poss then lol, poor compression due to valve clearances, the easy start increases compression enough for it to catch. Do a compression check.

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by laminator » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:54 pm

hipringle wrote:Age old problem poss then lol, poor compression due to valve clearances, the easy start increases compression enough for it to catch. Do a compression check.
Cheers hipringle,

I've been working all day today and we managed to finish the job. Plan is to have a look at it tomorrow, I'll see about doing a compression test while I'm at it and have got the fairings off. I'll have to remember my camera as I'm stripping it. I'll have all 3 bikes together aswell :)

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:00 pm

If it starts more easily when it's hot then that would point towards valve clearances too.