Electrical short?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
greeny_3
Settled in member
Reactions:
Electrical short?

Post by greeny_3 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:34 pm

Went out to the bike yesterday to go out on it, was in a bit of a rush and didn't realise until I'd gotten to the bottom of the road that the oil light was on. Slightly concerned I went back home to check; looked through the glass and there is oil in there. I then turn the ignition on and the bike starts itself without me touching the button! Is it possible there's some kind of short causing the bike to start on its own, and making the oil light illuminate?

Thanks,

Dave

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Electrical short?

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 am

I haven't heard of that before - have a look at the start / kill switch, clean the connections.

Was the bike ok after that ???

nry
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nry » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:35 am

Hi
The oil switch works when its shorted (normally closed switch), bike on engine not running (no pressure). = light on.
Pressure from oil (engine whizzing around) activates the switch (it goes open circuit) and it stops giving an earth (negative). = light off.

So if the lights on maybe its picking up a negative from the frame before it gets to the switch or the switch is not opening because its buggered.

Started itself eh ? hmmmmmm After you turned the ignition key.........
To do that it would need the starter pushed, and switched to run which you could have left on ?, did the starter motor keep turning once it had started ? (stuck or sticking switch ?) The starter relay receives a switched negative not the active from memory.
Bit like the oil light eh ?
But that would mean it would keep turning over.....maybe
So maybe have a look at your loom too for damage along with what boris suggested.
I think your going to have to pull some bits apart for sure. Is the bike kept outside ? (rain / moisture)

Good luck.
something to go on.
Neil.

greeny_3
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by greeny_3 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks for the replies... turned out to be a bit of a stupid one!!

Went out to it last night to investigate, simple case of the engine switch sticking. Once freed the problem was cured! I guess the oil light was coming on due to engine switch being constantly pressed. Oops lol :oops:

nry
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nry » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:22 am

At least its fixed thats the main thing. getting old these bikes now , it would be a hard life for them too living in the UK so I suppose electrical stuff will stick and fail from general weathering over time.
Neil

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:02 pm

I was on the right track with it though ... you think it's hard for bikes you should try living here

nry
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nry » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:02 am

Evilchicken0 wrote:I was on the right track with it though ... you think it's hard for bikes you should try living here
Indeed you were ! big pat on the back ! :D
I did for the first 24 years of my life ! After that I decided to go for a stroll ;) Bikes over here don't know thy're born !
I can only imagine what kind of abuse a bike ridden daily in 3 seasons for 20 years would get weather wise.
That reminds me I used to ride my RGV in november with a 5mm wetsuit underneath, I tried in snow for a laugh , it was possible but pretty daft.
Neil.