Getting my 1WG back on the road again

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
FriendlyDuck
Settled in member
Reactions:
Getting my 1WG back on the road again

Post by FriendlyDuck » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi all,

This site is such a great resource and has helped me out so many times in the past I felt the need to contribute again. My old login has been lost in the ether during the past couple or years my bike has been off the road so I hope you won't mind me starting afresh.

Whilst the bike was running when I put her into storage she had a number of small issues I'd never got round to sorting. This time I want to get it right.

A new battery is arriving tomorrow and I've got a couple of other bits and bobs in the post to allow me to make a start.

Currently contemplating a new fuel pump - they're not expensive and whilst I've never proven that's what was causing my fueling problems it seems like as good a place as any to start. Going to whip out the fuel tank and double check the pump matches the one currently 'in my basket' tonight before hitting the buy button.

I'm hoping to document the progress here so let me know if you've read this far down and I'll try to upload some photos for you now.

FriendlyDuck

FriendlyDuck
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Getting my 1WG back on the road again

Post by FriendlyDuck » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm

FriendlyDuck
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by FriendlyDuck » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Why did nobody remind me how much work is involved in simply removing the fuel pump!

Almost 2 hours later and having made all the mistakes in dissembling it that I made the first time I ever stripped this bike and this is what I have to show for it...

Still, replacement has been ordered for £17.

8mm inlet / outlet (not 10mm as I had previously assumed).

Hopefully this will stop the bike cutting out when low on fuel. I could hear the pump priming (for 30sec) when I tried to start it but seemed like there was no fuel reaching the carbs. I figured it must be a damaged membrane in the pump, will take it apart to confirm this once I've fitted the new one and checked it works.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 pm

If you unplug the the pipe to the carbs put it in a jam jar and turn on the pump you'll see if it works or not.

Clean the carbs - after all this time it would be a good idea.
You can get carb rubbers from Lite Tek - might be an idea to replace them now rather than wait.

Let us know how it goes