Help with FZR model identification conundrum

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
heavymetalmullet
Settled in member
Reactions:
Help with FZR model identification conundrum

Post by heavymetalmullet » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:59 am

Hi there guys and girls, new member here (just posted in the new members area)

So yesterday I received an FZR400 i'd bought on ebay cheaply with the intention of getting it running again and possibly using on the track. I want to start ordering parts for it but I'm having difficulty in establishing exactly what model I actually have. The bike was listed on ebay an FZR400 RR and is registered as so on the V5 document. The bike is shown as manufactured in 1988 and was registered here in the UK in 2001 having been imported from Japan I believe. It has a frame number of 1WG 048014 and the exhaust has the word EXUP on it, which leads me to believe it's actually an FZR400 EXUP 3EN1

Appreciate any help you can give!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZR-40 ... true&rt=nc

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Help with FZR model identification conundrum

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Yup bang on !!!
1988 FZR400R 3EN1 exup 1wg.
The exhaust can isn't standard for the bike

heavymetalmullet
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by heavymetalmullet » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:Yup bang on !!!
1988 FZR400R 3EN1 exup 1wg.
The exhaust can isn't standard for the bike
Cheers for the reply! So do you think it's been incorrectly registered on the V5 then? I've only got the new keepers section of the V5 at the moment, should get the full document through in the week.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Well its only one R too many, but you can send the V5 back to DVLA once you receive it

heavymetalmullet
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by heavymetalmullet » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:Well its only one R too many, but you can send the V5 back to DVLA once you receive it
Yeah that's true. Already ordered a new battery as it hadn't been started for 18 months so the previous owner has killed the current one. Tried to revive it with my charger but it's not showing anything. Next job will be to give it a good clean and see what state the carbs are in. Brakes are also seizing on a bit so they need looking at too.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:13 pm

You could do the valve tolerances, if your mechanically savvy.

It's an idea to get a sump gasket, and drop the sump cover at the next oil change. The drain plug is on the side stand side of the sump so there's always a bit of sludge that stays in there, give it a wash out with a bit of petrol then put it back on.

heavymetalmullet
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by heavymetalmullet » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:30 am

Evilchicken0 wrote:You could do the valve tolerances, if your mechanically savvy.

It's an idea to get a sump gasket, and drop the sump cover at the next oil change. The drain plug is on the side stand side of the sump so there's always a bit of sludge that stays in there, give it a wash out with a bit of petrol then put it back on.
Not attempted valve tolerances myself before, always had the garage do it on my Ninja but I bought this bike to learn some new stuff so tempted to give it a go!

Thanks for the advice about the sump gasket. Any recommendations on good parts sites for odd bits like that? Already got wemoto and motorcycleproducts.co.uk on the fave list.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:05 am

I tend to buy stuff like that off e-bay but there isn't much saving either way.

Get a manual for the FZR600 3HE - the 600 is generally a long stroke 400 so you can use it for a job like valve tolerances. They're a bit easier with the engine out at least for the first time.
Also have a look for Haynes Basics TechBook https://haynes.co.uk/catalog/motorcycle ... nd-edition and see if there's a local technical college running some evening courses.

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now

Post by willandrip » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:54 pm

The best FZR 600 manual that will not only help out with a lot of basic workshop practices but will also have specifics
that can be used on a 3EN1 is the Clymer Yamaha FZR600 1989-1993......it will show you just how shite the Haynes FZR manual is if you put them side by side.(Haynes try to put 3 or 4 TOTALLY different machines in the same manual just because their prefix was FZR.)

I have the parts manual and could help with numbers if you get stuck.

Don't burn out your new battery cranking for hours at a time...use good booster cables from your bike battery to a car battery but don't run the car engine.

Look forward to learning about carburettors ! :grin:
A red box doth not a Snap On make.

heavymetalmullet
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by heavymetalmullet » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:I tend to buy stuff like that off e-bay but there isn't much saving either way.

Get a manual for the FZR600 3HE - the 600 is generally a long stroke 400 so you can use it for a job like valve tolerances. They're a bit easier with the engine out at least for the first time.
Also have a look for Haynes Basics TechBook https://haynes.co.uk/catalog/motorcycle ... nd-edition and see if there's a local technical college running some evening courses.
Great idea with the college course, I'll have a look into that!