Found ya!!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Dobbie
Settled in member
Reactions:
Found ya!!

Post by Dobbie » Sat May 17, 2008 12:43 am

After a relatively busy spell over the last 12 months or so, due to a house move and loads of decorating, I recently had the urge to see what was going on with the fzr 400 forum. It was probably a lot to do with the fact that I had to sell my daytona 650 to buy a new kitchen :cry: but as part of the deal with the missus I negotiated back my 3tj that I had given her. After dragging it out and charging the battery, it started. So I made some new doglegs to put the rear end back to where it should be ( she's a midget) and I took it out. Oh how I had missed it!! The daytona was only really bought to replace the R6 that I high sided and although it was more comfy with a good mid range It was never as much fun as the R6. The tj is though, I love em, there ace aren't they. The rear shocker feels like it's been welded solid, Front brake lever nearly touches the clip on before anything happens, my knees feel like there touching my chin but F me it's fun.
What happened to all the other members, Have all their bikes finally gone to the big breakers in the sky?? Oh oolitt I checked out the pictures of your bike, it's looking very nice. The last time I was on here you had just powder coated the wheels and Evil had just bought his black 3tj. Anyway it's nice to be back. :D

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400RR 3TJ, RF900R
Re: Found ya!!

Post by oollit » Sat May 17, 2008 1:50 am

Hey, welcome back Dobbie, long time no see. How are things with you?

its been a long time since i powder coated the wheels and fortunately there have been a good few improvements since then.
I got the bike road legal and then decided that it handled like a bag of shite, so i fitted a '98 ZX6R rear shock which was fecking awsome until some lunatic suggested that the '06>'07>'08 R6 shock fitted the 3TJ with minimal alterations.
Needless to say i now have the R6 shock fitted to my 3TJ but unfortunetely i have blown the big ends so i am waiting on a 2nd hand SP engine to wing its way north in time for the Simmer Dim Rally in June and then i will rebuild the original motor when i have a bit more cash.
How are things with you fella, are you going to stick around for a while this time?
I only please one person per day.
Today is not your day, tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm

That 3TJ sat in my garage for ... a while !!!
I dug it out and got it sorted read it http://www.pbmagforum.com/forum3/2285.html
since then it's got the suspension fitted and then HH front pads, a radial master cylider and Leo Vici can. It's a really nice bike to ride and I've lent it to a NC29 owner and a guy at work who needed to borrow a bike after selling his 748 Duke. Both liked it and are looking to buy one.

Get an R6 shock and the adapter from Oollit, bleed your brakes and you'll be sweet for summer

Dobbie
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Dobbie » Thu May 22, 2008 12:27 pm

mmm Very interesting chaps, so the 98 zx6r shock goes straight on? I did have a quick look on ebay for an R6 shock, does it have to be from a later one or can you use a 5eb shock?
I'm going to have a go at bleeding the front brakes today. I think I could do with replacing the front discs as well really. One has tons of meat on it but it looks like it's a replacement as the rivet type things that hold the outer disk on are not pressed fit, there held on with bushes and circlips and as I said, There's loads on it but it's loose and clunks when braking at slow speeds.
Anyway I think i'll be here for good this time. I suppose in a way i'm glad to have sold the Triumph. Although it's nice having a big newish bike in the garage, I'm not minted and I just found myself thinking about it sitting there, slowly depreciating, like pound notes slowly escaping from under the garage door and blowing off down the street (bloody hell!! pound notes, showing my age there :) ) while i'm either stuck in here decorating or it's raining and I can't go out because it might get rusty, iv'e never really been one for sitting there for hours after a ride out frantically cleaning and polishing, i'd rather have a coffee, get the ralgex out and put my feet up! I

To late to change my mind now, the cash has gone and the kitchen has been ordered! I'd better get on with my brakes now . I'll get it sorted and mot,d in the quite before the storm of diy which will be decending once again when the kitchen turns up!

oldgreg
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oldgreg » Thu May 22, 2008 11:30 pm

I got an nearly new 2007 r6 rear shock from ebay motors (america) for £42 delivered after exchange rates etc. cant beat it :D

In theory you could put an earlier shock on, but the 2006/7 is easier to make a bracket for. Also, if you don't do welding, speak to oolit - he makes em and sells em on.

The only thing i'd say is i that thought my 3tj actually handled worse with the r6 shock and standard front end. It was only when i put hagon springs in the forks that i really noticed the difference in the rear end... That said, my stock fork spring were about 1 1/2 inches shorter than they should have been when new and floppy as an old dish rag ;)

Cheers,
Graeme

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oollit » Fri May 23, 2008 12:31 am

The ZX6R shock dosen't bolt straight in.

You will need the ZX6R shock, linkage and top mount bracket as I had to alter the ZX6R top mount and machine down one of the ZX6R linkage bushes to get it to fit in the 3TJ linkage as both the mounting point bolts are 10mm on the ZX6R shock and 12mm on the 3TJ.

You will also have to grind a bit off the bracket that the fuel pump is mounted to so that the resivoir has some clearence. It was a absolute nightmare to fit to the bike due to the lack of space and i thought i was going to have to cut the spring when i was trying to remove it.

Having riden with both shocks, i would advise you to get the R6 shock as i think it is more suited to the bike and a lot easier to fit. Although the ZX6R shock was a big improvement over the knackered 3TJ shock, the R6 shock is a lot better again than the ZX6R unit.

Motorcycle Solutions
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Kawasaki ZX9R E1

Post by Motorcycle Solutions » Fri May 23, 2008 7:18 am

:D
I second that the R6 shock three times better and much easier to fit and the spacers that oollit makes are second to none, they are the bee's knee's and i will definatley say it makes a difference...

do you self a favour and scrap the idea of the zxr shock and go for the R6 shock.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dobbie
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Dobbie » Fri May 23, 2008 10:38 am

Pretty conclusive then, an R6 shock it is. How much is one of your kits oollit?

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oollit » Tue May 27, 2008 12:56 am

I don't have any brackets left as i sold the last one today, but i will try and get some made up at next week if i have time. I will PM you when i have one ready.
Hopefully my new engine will be turning up shortly and that will have to take priority as i am going mental being bikeless with all the nice weather we are having at the moment.

Dobbie
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Dobbie » Tue May 27, 2008 1:16 am

Thanks oollitt. There's no rush yet anyway, I have to take it for a test first. I'll start looking for a cheap shock on ebay Then. I'm flogging all my old daytona panels on there at the minute, so I should have some cash shortly.