CB400SF brakes upgrade

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
souperdooper
Settled in member
Reactions:
CB400SF brakes upgrade

Post by souperdooper » Mon May 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi everybody

I'm after a mod to upgrade my braking. Got new pads but they didnt make much difference.
since I also need a set of springs at the front I was thinking of the possibility to do a radical upgrade on the front end.

Initially I thought to change the whole front fork with a Hornet one but to my suprprise I discovered that it is virtually the same front end till 2005 when the USD Hornet came out.

So I guess if the fork is fine for a bike with twice the power it is fine for mine. Still I want stronger braking at the front though so I thought maybe I can just upgrade to 4 pot calipers?

Has anybody done that? Any suggestions of other bikes I could easily fit the calipers from?

Any help will be much appreciated!!

amorti
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB-1, MSX125
Re: CB400SF brakes upgrade

Post by amorti » Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm

souperdooper wrote:Hi everybody

I'm after a mod to upgrade my braking. Got new pads but they didnt make much difference.
since I also need a set of springs at the front I was thinking of the possibility to do a radical upgrade on the front end.

Initially I thought to change the whole front fork with a Hornet one but to my suprprise I discovered that it is virtually the same front end till 2005 when the USD Hornet came out.

So I guess if the fork is fine for a bike with twice the power it is fine for mine. Still I want stronger braking at the front though so I thought maybe I can just upgrade to 4 pot calipers?

Has anybody done that? Any suggestions of other bikes I could easily fit the calipers from?

Any help will be much appreciated!!
Firestorm fork lowers then fit matching brakes or grind a bit off and fit fireblade brakes.

New springs (eg hagon) and oil will make a big difference to the front end feel. Or go the whole hog and hange the front end for a 92-97 fireblade fork. Just needs a bit of adjusting on the top yoke and it fits - tothe cb-1 anyway, can give measurements. Your original wheel and discs should wok either way. I have a spare pair of blade yokes.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i264/ ... 2464e3.jpg

souperdooper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by souperdooper » Tue May 03, 2011 7:15 pm

thanks amorti!

I considered the springs and oils already but since this will be sons first bike in 4 years time I see it as a project to get me started with DIY and enjoy the process.. (I hope Im not getting too deep though :? :? :? :grin: )

So my options are:

1. Firestorm fork with firestorm brakes
2. Firestorm fork with a bit of grinding and Fireblade brakes
3. Fireblade fork and brakes.
So you went for the Fireblade fork option.. I guess now your bike has preload, rebound and compression adjustments?? Damn! I want that!! :grin:

I think I ll go for the fireblade option.. he he.. off to ebay to source the parts.. Your yokes will probably come in handy.. The measurements will be much appreciated as well as any other info you might have..

Also when you say a bit of adjusting on the top yoke what do you mean? "A bit" for someone with the know how could be a dead end for a newbie.. he he

amorti
Reactions:

Post by amorti » Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 pm

souperdooper wrote:thanks amorti!

I considered the springs and oils already but since this will be sons first bike in 4 years time I see it as a project to get me started with DIY and enjoy the process.. (I hope Im not getting too deep though :? :? :? :grin: )

So my options are:

1. Firestorm fork with firestorm brakes
2. Firestorm fork with a bit of grinding and Fireblade brakes
3. Fireblade fork and brakes.
So you went for the Fireblade fork option.. I guess now your bike has preload, rebound and compression adjustments?? Damn! I want that!! :grin:

I think I ll go for the fireblade option.. he he.. off to ebay to source the parts.. Your yokes will probably come in handy.. The measurements will be much appreciated as well as any other info you might have..

Also when you say a bit of adjusting on the top yoke what do you mean? "A bit" for someone with the know how could be a dead end for a newbie.. he he
My CB-1 now has fully adjustable suspension, yes. The springs are a bit hard for someone of my weight (11 stone) as the bike's also a little lighter. It's still about 100 times as good as the original forks, but I might try thinner / less oil or eventually some lighter springs, but not any time soon.

By adjusting, I mean following stuff:
1. "part-drill" two holes in the top yoke to locate the top of the headlight frame.
2. drill two holes in the bottom yoke to locate the headlight frame. I think they were 11mm.
3. drill two holes in the top yoke and fit handlebar risers.

Other than that a little bit of modifying on the 'blade mudguard bracket meant I could use the original mudguard. I used a CBR400 wheel but AFAIK your wheel will fit the same. You need the blade spindle and spacers as they're longer / wider than CB parts. You want 2000-3 fireblade brakes, these are pretty awesome performance-wise (stoppy-time). They go with a 5/8" master cylinder. I have a spare one from a Kawasaki ZX9R which you could use, it has a mirror thread. Earlier blade brakes fit but are only the same as firestorm brakes and although fine, corrode worse with the years. Got to be 92-7 forks as they use 296mm discs. 98-9 ones take 310mm discs which is a ballache. I think in total you'll lower the front about 10mm at static, but the forks will sag so much less that the ride height is at least the same.

That's about all, I think. Should be easier on the SF as the cables are already long enough for a raised bar, was a bit of a ballache on my CB-1 to get everything to reach, although it worked in the end.

I can take some measurements if you're serious? Will have to borrow my dad's vernier to get anything meaningful though so it'll have to wait til the weekend.

souperdooper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by souperdooper » Tue May 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Ok I found the whole front system of a fireblade 95 with the calipers, master cyclider and discs .. funny enough its only the yokes that are missing!! he he spindle is there too. The drilling I guess I ll got o someone to do it with proper machinery and with the accuracy of a pro.. It wont cost that much..

As for the weight im at 110kg and the front end now dives like a skydiver. So I guess I won't be neeeding fork springs (provided the ones I'll get will still be alive) which would set me back at least 150quid with the installation fees.. So 150-200 (max) quid more and I got the front end of a killer bike with the brakes to match..

can't beat that!

The brakes won't be 2000-2003 but they ll do the job. Can I use my own discs you think? they re in good nick and will bring the costs down..

And if you can take the measurements beers on me.. he he..

amorti
Reactions:

Post by amorti » Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 pm

souperdooper wrote:Ok I found the whole front system of a fireblade 95 with the calipers, master cyclider and discs .. funny enough its only the yokes that are missing!! he he spindle is there too. The drilling I guess I ll got o someone to do it with proper machinery and with the accuracy of a pro.. It wont cost that much..

As for the weight im at 110kg and the front end now dives like a skydiver. So I guess I won't be neeeding fork springs (provided the ones I'll get will still be alive) which would set me back at least 150quid with the installation fees.. So 150-200 (max) quid more and I got the front end of a killer bike with the brakes to match..

can't beat that!

The brakes won't be 2000-2003 but they ll do the job. Can I use my own discs you think? they re in good nick and will bring the costs down..

The later brakes are better but the earlier brakes will do fine, true enough. They'll want a 14mm master cylinder with mirror thread, e.g. CB1300. Or you can get mirror attachment clamps that replace the normal one on eBay but I don't like the look of remote reservoir master cylinders on naked bikes. Up to you.

Your brake discs will work. If good, keep them as you never know with s/h discs.

I have a vague feeling the compression adjuster only came in in 96?? Any way the forks will be amazing compared to stock. At 110kg you'll be right for the springs no worries.

Get someone to do the holes for the bar risers if you're not confident or don't have a bench press, but the other two don't need to be accurate, you are best doing them sort of freehand even with a battery drill and checking how everything lines up as you go.

Will get some pics up at the weekend. You could start by cross-referencing the steering bearings? If you do that and they're the same I could just measure the shaft and threaded lengths with a ruler. Wemoto often post the dimensions up on their partslists.

And when you're done you still have perfectly servicable original parts to sell. Bonus.

souperdooper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by souperdooper » Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 pm

steering bearings are identical. It won't show figures but the part number /picture/ whole listing is identical! hence.. we re in business!! :grin:

And you re right about the discs too. both models have 296mm discs..

What can go wrong? lets see.. the steering lock.. Im very happy with the steering lock as it is now. Will this be the same? Obviously based on your experience with the CB-1 right? Does it turn through traffic as it used to?

Not that I will mind too much if it it gets a bit restricted.. But just to know what Im trading here..
:)

amorti
Reactions:

Post by amorti » Wed May 04, 2011 7:20 am

On the cb-1 The left/right steering lock is the same, absolutely identical. Don't know about the SF. If it's worse you can always grind a bit of the lockstop on the lower yoke.

Had to grind about 5mm off the bottom of the ignition mounting thread, then the steering lock worked.

Had to make a bracket from the headlight mounting bolts to hold the clocks. Not perfect but ok.

You anywhere near portsmouth to have a look at / go on mine?

souperdooper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by souperdooper » Wed May 04, 2011 2:39 pm

So I got two forks, calipers and master cylinder (complete with braided steel lines amd lever), spindle and also the front fender for £165.. The fender is black but hey soon the bike will be resprayed anyway.. Another little DIY project on the horizon..

Taking about being serious?? he he

souperdooper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by souperdooper » Wed May 04, 2011 2:45 pm

I just saw your reply.. Im in London but as soon as I get the bike going (it has a starting problem at the moment. Reg/rectifier changed today and still the same) I can pay you a visit.. Have some bike talk over a few beers.. he he