Headlight Wiring (two in particular)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Josseh
Settled in member
Reactions:
Headlight Wiring (two in particular)

Post by Josseh » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:27 am

Good Morning All,

I've had some electrical gremlins lately from one of the previous bodging owners (I'll move on to that shortly) however my question is, does anyone know what these two wires are:

Light Blue/White and Orange/White

I've printed half a dozen wiring diagrams and some are close but only one shows the light blue/White as being a dimmer and no orange/white.

They both have 12v at ignition and 0v when ignition is off.

Any information would be great.

Onto the bodging (including that hideous job on the headlight wire in the photo above)..

One wet Wednesday ride to work I was without flashing indicators, I knew it would be the relay and set about investigating once I got home to find this:

Bodgers

I removed a ton of electrical tape, scratched my head and drunk that cup of tea you can see in the photo, before it dawned on me. Sure the LED flasher was dead but I didn't expect to find someones very bad and dangerous attempt at bypassing the original starter relay.

I've ordered a new plug and starter (since I'm guessing its goosed) and will fit when they arrive. I'll hopefully post back with a nicer looking setup than that.

Joss

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29
Re: Headlight Wiring (two in particular)

Post by royster81 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Blue and orange... Could they be indicator related?

What I'm thinking is could they be wires for running lights/marker lights where the indicator stays on all the time and flashes off?

I'm not sure if all CBs came with running lights
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

JamesHambleton
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBF125,CB400SF,CB500,Bandit400

Post by JamesHambleton » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Since these wires are with the ignition someone might have used them with a relay for fitting heated grips or something similar. Other than that suggestion I have no idea about anything else.

Josseh
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Josseh » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 pm

royster81 wrote:Blue and orange... Could they be indicator related?

What I'm thinking is could they be wires for running lights/marker lights where the indicator stays on all the time and flashes off?

I'm not sure if all CBs came with running lights
One is light blue and white one is and then orange and white. These are not the indicator wires as I've done those seperately. You could be onto something with the perminantly on though. I'll stick a bullet connector on them to stop them shorting to anything for now.
JamesHambleton wrote:Since these wires are with the ignition someone might have used them with a relay for fitting heated grips or something similar. Other than that suggestion I have no idea about anything else.
I'm hoping someone can pop their headlight out and see what theres go to since its from the original loom. The orange and white looks like it comes from the LH Switch assembly. The light blue and white I've yet to see how far back it goes.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 pm

My CB has 3 wires for the indicator, a green earth, a solid orange or blue and a blue/white or orange/white.
I see from your pictures you've after market indicators so that's why your only using two wires.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

Josseh
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Josseh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:34 am

royster81 wrote:My CB has 3 wires for the indicator, a green earth, a solid orange or blue and a blue/white or orange/white.
I see from your pictures you've after market indicators so that's why your only using two wires.
You are correct. Tested with my multi meter and the voltage drops to either wire depending on the indicator selection. I'm happy with them off and on when selected, which means I'll tin the wire and attach a connector and rubber boot. Thank you for your help.

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four

Post by iansoady » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 am

royster81 wrote:
I think you're right - I have a Haynes manual for the other grey import 400s (sadly not the Super Four) and it shows those colours going to the indicators. I think it's safe to leave them disconnected.

Josseh
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Josseh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:13 pm

iansoady wrote:
royster81 wrote:
I think you're right - I have a Haynes manual for the other grey import 400s (sadly not the Super Four) and it shows those colours going to the indicators. I think it's safe to leave them disconnected.
Thank you for the clarification. Every wiring diagram I found only showed the two wires. I might have to nab myself a copy of the Haynes.

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four

Post by iansoady » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:53 pm

TBH it's not that much use for the Super Four but as mine is my first Honda 4 I'm ready to clutch at any straw.

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

Post by JZH » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:58 am

A little outdated, but in general this Honda Wire Colour Chart is still useful: [url]http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/Ho ... rs.htm[url].

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org