nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz
Re: nc31 project

Post by Superjack44 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:52 pm

My clutch pivot bolt fix worked for the yellow bike. I'm going to undertake a trip to Northampton soon, should I trust the yellow bike to take me there and back?

Well it is a Honda :grin:

I took it into my head I wanted to go camping up and around Scotland bike of choice Honda Superfour (92) poured with rain so just kept going apart from 2 overnight stops and eventually made a run for home 1016 miles in 2 days I have absolute confidence in my Superfour.
Its not as tidy as yours mind.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified

Post by bludclot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:15 pm

It went across the road the today, the furthest that it's moved in well over two years.

There's still a surprisingly long list of little tasks to turn it into something special, not least of which is to get the engine running. Also: change the rear indicators to match the fronts, re-cover the seat, fit new stator cover, re-paint the fuel tank, refurbish the exhaust exit area or polish and fit the other exhaust, refurbish the clutch cover and fit new clutch plates / springs / whatever's needed in there, source and fit mph converter, fit new control cables, MOT the thing.

I fitted a new set of clock covers to the yellow bike and changed the instruments bulbs for ones that work so I can see what's happening at night now. It's the first time that I've had everything working on this bike. Next up is the chain, it's showing three kinked links, then the weeping forks will have some attention.

Ebay yielded a new old stock stator cover, just as I'd finished painting my spare. Only trouble is - it's black and not the grey that I need:

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four

Post by iansoady » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Looks very nice indeed.

Tarlowb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400SF NC39, '88 NC23 tri-arm

Post by Tarlowb » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks for the update, looking mint, very clean fazer too!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

craigs23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Quite a few

Post by craigs23 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 pm

That's a cracking project, top work :plus:

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Things have been a bit stagnant for this project for a while but I have picked it up again. I put the red bike seat on the yellow bike and asked my local trimmer to re-cover the (torn) yellow bike seat:

The trimmer said that trimming is a dying trade in this country, there's just no youth coming into it.

I also prepared another set of body work for paint:

I am not intending to paint this myself, I have found another local painter that has a very good reputation. This is a trial run for him really as my van suffered an attempted theft which left a load of damage, so if his work on these pieces is good then he will have the van for a full inside and out bare metal respray...

I bought yet another radiator for the red bike and fitted it today, once again it is complete. I have the coolant and battery, they just need fitting and I'll see whether it runs....

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Last week I managed to remove and strip the yellow bike forks. I dropped the legs off at my local powder coaters and asked for wheel silver. They came back looking very nice but required all threads cleaning, the inside tops thoroughly cleaning of residue and smoothing and the insides repeatedly flushing, all in all they took some time to prepare:

Re-assembled and fitted, no more leaking seals:

and while photographing here's the chain and sprockets done:

The yellow bike is finally receiving the attention that it so badly needed. The bodywork for it is still in the garage awaiting delivery to the paint man. On the radar are the rear shocks and headlight which will receive some refurbishing efforts.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:39 pm

I love the look of that yellow bike
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:51 pm

The red bike runs! I put the fuel tank from the yellow bike on it, filled it with coolant, fitted a new battery and it fired and ran first attempt. I rode it up and down the road until it died.

Here'a a list of faults and what I think their solutions might be:

- can't find neutral. new clutch cable
- front right indicator lit with headlight - change the wires I've obviously connected it wrongly!
- one rear light bulb inoperative - change both bulbs, may as well while in there
- exhaust blowing from cylinder head join - fit new copper gaskets, they have arrived already
- won't idle without choke - strip and clean carb needles and float bowls, probably gummed up
- speedo needle doesn't work - find replacement clocks (?)
- front brakes spongy - try another master cylinder repair kit

Any suggestions welcome with regards that list!

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Carb cleaning, ultra sonic works wonders but before trying one removing diaphragms and any fibre washers is a good idea