CBR400RR exhaust thread

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Tuckshop1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR3TJ/ZXR400 H/NC29/ZXR400 L
Re: CBR400RR exhaust thread

Post by Tuckshop1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:59 am

My NC29 came with a Daishin system on it!

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Just showing off my new headers from GF Racing. Sadly my originals have succumbed to the rust god/devil and the need for something new was calling.

I was really put off stainless a few years ago by my Sandy bike ones and have managed to find the type 7 OEM pipes to fulfill that need. Sadly I have exhausted that supply and the as good as new ones I put on in 2013 have rusted through on the collector box 4-2 part..

I'm going to polish them up a bit as they are a matte finish but they should be on next week. The 3 bolt adapter was bought a few years ago from Graeme and I nearly sold it a while back, good job I kept it.

I will add my thoughts on them here, once fitted.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm sure you will grow to love them, yes the metallic sound may annoy you for a little while but it won't take long before you grow used to it. How many oe headers have you gone through Dave?
Last edited by cbr400rrn on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:48 pm

cbr400rrn wrote:I'm sure you will grow to love them, yes the metallic sound may annoy you for a little while but it won't take long before you grow used to it. How many or headers have you gone through Dave?
I'm hoping that there will be no mettalic zing but being stainless I guess I will have to put up with it if it is there.

My main concern are holes in the rev range. I'm hoping there won't be any and I think I have 108 jets installed or at hand. Graeme said they are much better than the others, so I can only take his word for it.

I note they do have a smaller header diameter that is more like my type 7 so in my eyes it's a good start as that's the main problem with aftermarket headers, they have a much wider diameter for earlier 29s causing the wrong flow velocity I think. Although I'm not an expert on this I feel that is the problem with aftermarket headers on my bike.

Here is a link to an interesting article about flow velocity and why wider down pipes may not be the answer. On my bike there seems to be a case for this. And i guess why GF also advocats the removal of the baffle in the link pipe as further down the exhaust as at that point you need the gases to flow out quicker. Very techy and beyond me really but it sounds reasonable.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t943495 ... rong_.html

I have had a few Exhausts since 2008. My originals, one set of stainless, which was supposed to be the answer... one hybrid set of mixed Oem & stainless and finally a virtually new set bought in Germany for 80 quid delivered an absolute bargain. Sadly being out in all weather's and copious amounts of salt has never helped, despite spending a fortune on exhaust paint and ac50. So this is my last and final fling. If these don't work it's bean cans and Hoover pipes in the future.

What pipes are you using?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Davez29 wrote: If these don't work it's bean cans and Hoover pipes in the future.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still using the original headers with the standard cans but the cans will be changed for race ones after this year's turn of events.
The headers get taken off sanded back and repainted with pj1 every year or so as you did with yours im sure. I do have a set of beet headers for when the oe headers are unserviceable that I got from Graeme a number of years ago with my last bonus I got from work.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi, are those original BEET headers you have and do they look like mine as Graeme said his are BEET copies? Yes I can't believe I have gone through so many exhausts. It's been a hidden cost really.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes mine are original beet headers that Graeme took off another bike that he had in which were in excellent condition so that was another reason I bought them. They are in more pieces than yours though. Yes I seem to remember Graeme used the beet system to make copies of. He said they were a very good design

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 am

cbr400rrn wrote:Yes mine are original beet headers that Graeme took off another bike that he had in which were in excellent condition so that was another reason I bought them. They are in more pieces than yours though. Yes I seem to remember Graeme used the beet system to make copies of. He said they were a very good design
Yes he did say they were good but he also mentioned that the best pipes for my bike were the originals as Honda did a very good job on them, but sadly as he also pointed out, getting a new set is a bit hard nowadays and his setup is the closest I would get to replicating them. Im off work for a couple of days now so I should be able to polish them up a bit tomorrow and get them on on Wenesday. Im looking forward to seeing the outcome, hopefully its fit and play..

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:02 am

Davez29 wrote:
cbr400rrn wrote:Yes mine are original beet headers that Graeme took off another bike that he had in which were in excellent condition so that was another reason I bought them. They are in more pieces than yours though. Yes I seem to remember Graeme used the beet system to make copies of. He said they were a very good design
Yes he did say they were good but he also mentioned that the best pipes for my bike were the originals as Honda did a very good job on them, but sadly as he also pointed out, getting a new set is a bit hard nowadays and his setup is the closest I would get to replicating them. Im off work for a couple of days now so I should be able to polish them up a bit tomorrow and get them on on Wenesday. Im looking forward to seeing the outcome, hopefully its fit and play..
And remember to post your findings after you have ridden with them on

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by cbr400rrn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 pm

cbr400rrn wrote:
Davez29 wrote:
And remember to post your findings after you have ridden with them on
How have you found them after doing a few miles with them on the bike