Possibly buying an NC29. Advice.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Possibly buying an NC29. Advice.

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 am

I've been offered an NC29 Type 1 for £1900. I've only seen photos (12) and swopped messages with the owner, who bought it from a dealer around 18 months ago, when it was last serviced. It looks in good nick with a small crack and a few scrapes on a lower panel plus two small dents in the tank. Can't see any other damage.13000 miles. Some service history and lots of MOT's. Currently SORN from last November. Brand new tyres. New plugs. Chain&sprockets look shabby. Been told carbs have been cleaned and it runs well but hasn't moved much during current ownership.

Having never owned an NC29 is there anything in particular I need to look out for? It's a long way from me, so a real pain to get there and take a look. I'm tempted to buy sight-unseen, which I know is risky. I've got a courier lined up for £150.

Comments, advice & suggestions welcome.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Possibly buying an NC29. Advice.

Post by CB1pod70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 am

Pretty solid bikes on the whole, the only real common issue (as with all Hondas of the period) is to check the charging system as stators and regulator/rectifiers are known to fail. They can quickly look pretty scruffy but are generally solid underneath. Most parts are easy to come by.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 pm

As is usual, the year does not always reflect the condition and 13k is nothing, so may be a good un. The charging is the main concern, quickly followed by suspension, and its something I would upgrade as it makes a hell of a difference. Get some pics up and I will see if I can spot anything out of place.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am

I decided to go for it but the owner started to make it too complicated. My courier couldn't get there before the owners deadline and would not accept payment or even a deposit via bank transfer or through Paypal. They wanted cash in hand, directly from me and wouldn't accept it from the courier (who I trust), before releasing the bike. As I couldn't get from Cheshire to Newcastle in time that was it.
So I'm still looking for an NC29 in good nick, preferably a mark 5 or 7 colour scheme, for a reasonable price. I think Fastline had one. A bit pricey but looks like it's gone.
By the way, thanks for the offer to have a look at pics, maybe next time.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Thats a shame. Im only 10 miles from Newcastle as well. Its a rare model up here so may sell easy if interest in my bike is anything to go by. It wasn't black with a silver fireblade sticker on the tail, was it?

I wonder why the deadline, did he have a local buyer?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Fastline used to be breakers and have always been wary of them after hearing a few slightly dodgy dealings with them.
Oh yeah and my first bike was from them which had a few things wrong with it one of which was 2 of the spark plug threads had been stripped of which they somehow botched a repair just long enough to last a couple of weeks. Returns policy/ warranty? Haha I got nowhere so buyer beware. But maybe they have now gone legit. Would I use them again, not a chance and would never trust them again either

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Davez29 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:46 pm
Thats a shame. Im only 10 miles from Newcastle as well. Its a rare model up here so may sell easy if interest in my bike is anything to go by. It wasn't black with a silver fireblade sticker on the tail, was it?

I wonder why the deadline, did he have a local buyer?
No it wasn't black, it was a Type 1. The deadline had something to do with a bank and the owner needing the money to buy a van. I didn't really understand what the problem was or why a bank transfer was unacceptable. I was the one taking a risk by buying the bike unseen, they would have had my dosh before the bike was released.
The owner has since come back to me to see if I'm still interested but still wants cash in hand. I've decided I'd rather pay more for a Type 5 or 7.
Thanks for the offer Davez29 to take a look (at least I'm assuming that's what you were offering :P ). That would have saved me a trip to Newcastle to hand over the cash if the bike was bollox. Nasty and cold that far north anyway :grin:

As far as Fastline go, yes I've heard about their poor rep but I think that was from several years back (unless anyone's had recent poor service). I've spoken to their staff at shows and they seem fine, though I realise that doesn't necessarily mean much. I'm heading their way (Preston) in a few weeks, despite it being nasty and cold, and I plan to drop in.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Well I've gone and done it..bought an NC29. It was on Gumtree&Ebay. The ad might still be there (it's in Runcorn).Type 1.17,000miles. Lots of SH. Absolutely stunning condition, hardly a mark on it, you could eat your breakfast off just about any part of it, except perhaps the chain. Even got the original toolkit and DIC end can. The owner has switched to racing, has a big BMW and sponsorship and was keeping the NC29 as an 'appreciating ornament' but decided to let it go. Mechanically it's spot on and properly set up. He's delivering it next week (by van). Throwing in the Haynes and a Honda dust cover, which I will use to discreetly conceal my new purchase from my wife. She'll never notice if I tuck it between the NC35 and Street Twin :whistle: Can't wait!

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:03 pm

Sounds a very good buy and been well cared for

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:25 am

Thats brilliant. Welcome to the club. Lets hope the wife doesn't realise for a day or two anyway. Sounds like its a good one so get those pics up. 17000 miles on a 29 is nothing and if it just needs a new chain to look better then your on an immediate win situation for the fast approaching summer.