NC23 having other ideas on starting...

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
LITTLE=ONE
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: LOTS
Re: NC23 having other ideas on starting...

Post by LITTLE=ONE » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:28 am

Have you got it started? :grin:

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23, SRX long term project

Post by spritz46 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:08 pm

LITTLE=ONE wrote:Have you got it started? :grin:
Eeuurrgghh, well that was a bloody hectic month done and with any chance I had to work on the bike snowed off I was glad for fri afternoon last week when I managed to spend some time on it..

So no, no start. Engine turned over cleanly without plugs so that was all good. I moved onto trying the starter motor directly...

Car battery to hand I went jumpers directly to the heavy cables on the starter. Negative removed from bat and cable leaving starter solenoid we’re hooked up. And bam. Nothing. Little bit of smoke from negative cable after about a second so quickly disconnected but absolutely nada from the starter motor.

So I’m guessing that’s goosed and first port of call. Might be a swap out as last time I took it off it did spin round when just motor connected to a battery and nothing else. Hoping it’s not starter gear which is stuck too but new motor will have to be sourced and fitted prior. Only saying that as the screws holding the motor together are rounded so to save faffing a about a quick swap out may be in order.

Any other thoughts from the update anyone?

Cheers for checking in Littleone, I will keep the chain updated as I get to the root for others reference if the same issue arises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spritz46
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23, SRX long term project

Post by spritz46 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:15 am

Update time...

Well, she lives! Kinda. Well she’s a lot further on...

So starter motor came off, sorted seized bolts and found lots of carbon powder in back casing. Cleaned all out, filed and scoured the carbon brushes which do look low but useable. Re assembled and then fitted. Noticed one coil not connected right so sorted that. All earth points re cleaned and tightened and boom. Turns over on the button.

Plugs back in, tank on and some fuel and...

Tries to fire and does but only seemingly on 2 or poss 3 cylinders. Also whether it’s due to the next issue and being fuel staved I don’t know but she won’t sit and idle, she’ll barely stay running when trying to gas it out.

Fuel is leaking from tank petcock pretty bad so guess it’s a new tap as haven’t seen a repair kit available.

Fuel is also pissing out from what seems to be between the 3rd and 4th carb.

So a lot further on but still woes ahead.

Got new seal kit ordered from Litek for the carbs, think I possibly need new needles and seat but can’t find them except for in a keyster kit which I have heard bad things about. Anyone know other models which are direct fit? They’re 2.4 needles and seats to account for the fuel pump.

Hopefully I’ll have a fully sorted update to add soon but if anyone has any pearls of wisdom on the new issues please shout up.

Cheers for all the help so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk