WEIGHT OF MY CBR 400 NC29 1990 is.....

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr 400 zxr 400 gsx 1300r
WEIGHT OF MY CBR 400 NC29 1990 is.....

Post by Bowches » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi all....

I just weighed my Honda CBR 400 N29 1990 and with about 75% fuel in the tank. The weight came to 173.5 kg

I put a weighing scale underneath the front wheel and the back wheel at the same time and the weights were 87kg at the front and 86.5kg at the back wheel.

I kept the bike upright and completely straight on fairly flat ground (the road).

The mods that have helped are SP Engineering exhaust (1.3kg) and lightweight Lithium Ion battery (0.5kg). Standard battery weighs like 2.5 kg and the standard exhaust from Honda weighs 2kg

I have pictures here

https://postimg.org/image/99dsu1drv/

https://postimg.org/image/uzmmrna7f/

https://postimg.org/image/uo56eobp7/

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: WEIGHT OF MY CBR 400 NC29 1990 is.....

Post by Davez29 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Excellent, had a chuckle looking at those pictures,I think i was expecting mr & misses bowches getting ready pounce if the bike keeled over. :peace:

Doing that to my bike is pointless as im a bit tubby and like pies too much.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Davez29 wrote:Excellent, had a chuckle looking at those pictures,I think i was expecting mr & misses bowches getting ready pounce if the bike keeled over. :peace:

Doing that to my bike is pointless as im a bit tubby and like pies too much.
HAHAHA...lol the funny thing about me is my weight is 54kg,yes i weigh less than the average weight of a woman in the UK.

I also eat plenty of ICE CREAM, meat, eclairs, bakery stuff and I never seem to put on weight lollll.

Davez29 you gonna continue riding through the winter?

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Winter, what winter... I laugh in the face of bad weather but I do crap myself when they put salt on the road. Nothing worse. Well alright if it snows I might leave the bike indoors.. It's hard to believe winter's on the way I was overheating just going to work at 6 this morning.

Yes at one time I could and did eat what I liked, sadly no more.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 am

Davez29 wrote:Winter, what winter... I laugh in the face of bad weather but I do crap myself when they put salt on the road. Nothing worse. Well alright if it snows I might leave the bike indoors.. It's hard to believe winter's on the way I was overheating just going to work at 6 this morning.

HAHA...i dont care about the weather as well, although I really want to buy some heated gloves as my hands become cold very easily. Hah what I do is put my hand on the engine casing on the right hand side/ throttle side and just hold it there to warm up my hand. Once I rode in 2014 on a Honda CBF 125 in the winter without any gloves on HAHAHA and when I came home, my hands were pink and then I put hot water on my hands and it HURT SO MUCHHH. 50mph on Dual carriageway with ice cold wind hitting my bare hands....I hired a bike to practice my bike test and that was hilarious little adventure, will never forget that episode.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:30 am

Davez29 wrote:Winter, what winter... I laugh in the face of bad weather but I do crap myself when they put salt on the road. Nothing worse. Well alright if it snows I might leave the bike indoors.. It's hard to believe winter's on the way I was overheating just going to work at 6 this morning.

Do you have a car Davez?

One more thing....how many times have you done your valve clearance check because I want to do mine now as well.

Also do you know where I can get a genuine Rubber Gasket Head Cover for the CBR 400 NC29? There is one selling on Ebay but it is from Hong Kong, I'm sure it will be ok from Hong Kong but I rather buy a Honda PART.

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:02 am

No car, just the bike.

Shims checked three times but only replaced a couple of shims. If doing it yourself follow the haynes, do it slow and be careful of snapping the cams or holders, loosen and tighten in small increments also the cams won't go down straight due to valves being at different positions and watch the cam does not move a couple of teeth out of line. Mark the position with tippex before you begin to take it off.and maybe carefully jam the teeth with a flathead driver while tightening down. A friend will be useful to do this but be careful it's slippy work to keep the driver in position. It took me several goes before I managed to keep it in place as it constantly wants to spring back due to the valves pushing on it.

The rubber gasket I just put a new oem one on a few months ago as mine was like charcoal in places. I did also buy a cheap Chinese one to compare as it was cheap and looking at them they were identical, but the Chinese one was not as quite as pliable, if there was no choice I think the Chinese gasket would be fine.

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:47 am

Davez29 wrote:No car, just the bike.

Shims checked three times but only replaced a couple of shims. If doing it yourself follow the haynes, do it slow and be careful of snapping the cams or holders, loosen and tighten in small increments also the cams won't go down straight due to valves being at different positions and watch the cam does not move a couple of teeth out of line. Mark the position with tippex before you begin to take it off.and maybe carefully jam the teeth with a flathead driver while tightening down. A friend will be useful to do this but be careful it's slippy work to keep the driver in position. It took me several goes before I managed to keep it in place as it constantly wants to spring back due to the valves pushing on it.

The rubber gasket I just put a new oem one on a few months ago as mine was like charcoal in places. I did also buy a cheap Chinese one to compare as it was cheap and looking at them they were identical, but the Chinese one was not as quite as pliable, if there was no choice I think the Chinese gasket would be fine.

I am going to do this with a qualified mechanic, he had sorted out my idle issue for just buying him a burger from Chicken Cottage. I wont say his name and location lol. It sounds very complicated and when I do something I want to make sure it is done 100% right. I will pay him the money but I will watch exactly how he does and I may want to do some of it as well.

At the moment, is the CBR 400 the only bike you have got?

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Davez29 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:29 pm

You might have to fork out going large on that next job, in fact get him in early and buy breakfast. Help him out by having the bike stripped down as much as possible, that alone saves a lot of time.

Yes it's my only bike, but I nearly bought a Suzuki vanvan two weeks ago, a bike I have always had a fancy for. Then I stood looking at the bikes at work and realized nothing came close to my 29, and riding behind a 125 just confirmed a 125 was not for me. So I went out and bought a gtx1080 graphics card for my pc and a set of Graeme France racing pipes.. Sorted..

Bowches
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Bowches » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Davez29 wrote:You might have to fork out going large on that next job, in fact get him in early and buy breakfast. Help him out by having the bike stripped down as much as possible, that alone saves a lot of time.

Yes it's my only bike, but I nearly bought a Suzuki vanvan two weeks ago, a bike I have always had a fancy for. Then I stood looking at the bikes at work and realized nothing came close to my 29, and riding behind a 125 just confirmed a 125 was not for me. So I went out and bought a gtx1080 graphics card for my pc and a set of Graeme France racing pipes.. Sorted..
I think the motorcycle industry is really dried up in some way for new bikes/innovation.

The guy who delivered the bike and also happened to be part of the management of Regal Superbikes in Scotland said of the CBR 400....its a great bike but you are buying technology that is over 25 years old. Well Why dont we look at the new bikes....the sound and performance is worse! The A2 bikes for riders under the age of 24....and they also not that reliable....so when people try to put the CBR 400 down as an old bike, I say to them and your bike is better is it? lol

The vanvan has got a really fat tyre at the back which is the quirky thing about it. The cyclising association has improved safety for cyclists in London in the space of 5 years since Olympics in London, sadly not much improvements for safety for motorcyclists in London....things are looking up slightly with allowing motorcycles to use Bus lanes and I just cruise past traffic when I'm in London in rush hour safely...

Do those Graeme france racing pipes make much of a difference?