Head chattering/clicking sound at idle

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
MexicanGringo
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '30
Head chattering/clicking sound at idle

Post by MexicanGringo » Sun May 25, 2008 11:12 am

Hello Gents

My NC30 is making a sharp metallic chattering/clicking sound from the cylinder heads when warm. Not sure if its just coming from one cam or all.. Clicking sound follows the idle for the most.. Is this valve misadjustment or pinging or?? Also can't get the bike into neutral when warm, but as soon as the engine is cut it clicks into neutral fine.. Help much appreciated!

Smev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 of course
Re: Head chattering/clicking sound at idle

Post by Smev » Sun May 25, 2008 11:56 am

hi there,

It sounds to me a little bit like the valve clearances need checking- there is a thread on here which tells you how to check the shims :)
As for te bike not going into neutral - it happens alot to the VFR - I've had some that just don't want to go in. I've heard that it can because of the selector forks in the engine wearing quite easily.

Hope this helps

Smev
Mister Donut Rep NC30

1990nc30
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by 1990nc30 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi, with regards to the bike not going into neutral, i had the same problem and asked on here and found out that you have to blip the throttle to at least 3000 revs and then it should slip in nicely. I thought i had tried everything and that this was a silly idea, but it works a treat. Make sure you blip it to at least 3000 revs or it doesn't work. Hope this helps.

MexicanGringo
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by MexicanGringo » Sun May 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Cheers for the help.. Will check shims today if i can source a micrometer. Another thing i noticed was the valve colour when i took the carbs off. No#1 intake the one valve is silvery & the other black! Why is this? Other valves all look black, is this normal?

Lasse
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Lasse » Sun May 25, 2008 7:07 pm

Is your clutch dragging? I have a hard time changing gears due to clutch drag, will try with a new cable, adjust it properly, and then new oil. If that doesn't work, I shove in some new plates and see what happens.

MexicanGringo
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by MexicanGringo » Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 pm

Yes it is dragging.. Ive read this can be caused by warped plates,springs or mucky oil.. Adjusting the clutch cable tension lessons the drag when the cable is more taught, but its still noticeable when pushing in 1st with clutch in.. Ive changed the oil with 10W40.. More concerned with the chatterin sound right now tho! Could this be connected to the presence of 110 & 40 jets all round in the carbs? I assume the previous owner did this along with the exhaust upgrade..

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Mon May 26, 2008 12:20 am

MexicanGringo wrote: More concerned with the chatterin sound right now tho!
The engines can be very tappety when hot, this is probably what you're hearing. If you're worried check the valve clearances.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks