Have a laugh on me

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
MickCheese
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZXR400, 954 Blade, NC30
Have a laugh on me

Post by MickCheese » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:29 pm

I have had some misfire problems with my NC30 trackbike between 10 and 14000 revs.

A few evenings ago I decided that I would clean the carbs, change the plugs and check the tappets as I am going to Mallory this Friday.

Carbs and plugs no problem but I got to the tappets and found that I didn't have a feeler gauge small enough. I was really confused as I have done them several time before and never come across this before.

I did find that my smallest gauge was only a bit too large so used that. I found the gap was really oversized on both the inlet and exhaust. I just couldn't understand it. Then I realised I was using the stem to shim clearance 0.010 instead of the valve clearance of 0.12. I must have taken 30 minutes before I realised what I was doing. just as well I didn't really embarrass myself and go to the local dealers for the shims.

In fact they were all OK.

Mick