Is my clutch gone? NC30

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
monkeywithaplan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 and NC30
Is my clutch gone? NC30

Post by monkeywithaplan » Fri May 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Was just down in my carpark doing some bits and pieces to track bike, and decided to put in charged battery and do some revving with bike on abba stand :D . just couldnt resist.

1st symtom; choke on, 4k revs, notice wheel is turning. mmmmm thats odd, my RVF doesnt do that. can stop it by hand though. little resistance. anyhows
2nd symtom; sit on bike on abba stand put her in first, clutch out open throttle, all good, close clutch, open throttle, and i get nearly the same drive at the rear wheel, mmmmmm, odd i think.

have checked the clutch cable, lever and even had the sprocket cover off checking pushrod. all good.

so tell me the bad news? am i right in saying its new clutch plates time? :cry:
Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Andy666
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Is my clutch gone? NC30

Post by Andy666 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:04 pm

monkeywithaplan wrote: 1st symtom; choke on, 4k revs, notice wheel is turning. mmmmm thats odd, my RVF doesnt do that. can stop it by hand though. little resistance. anyhows
Dunno about the rest, but that's perfectly normal. Think it's caused by the movement of the oil or something.

jo
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by jo » Fri May 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Wouldn't it better to take it down the road to try it out rather than let it run on the paddock stand?

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Mine does it mate - the clutch drags and drives the rear wheel. It should not do it on idle but a blip might get the rear to move.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:21 pm

jo wrote:Wouldn't it better to take it down the road to try it out rather than let it run on the paddock stand?
track bike ,no tax,mot or insurance jo

i'd say it's prefectly normal
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

monkeywithaplan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by monkeywithaplan » Fri May 23, 2008 3:23 pm

jo wrote:Wouldn't it better to take it down the road to try it out rather than let it run on the paddock stand?

would only, i need a new chain, not taxed or MOT and my brakes are off as i am rebuilding them at mo, :lol: . waiting on bits coming through post.

your absolutely right though. once, i get those bits and pieces sorted a spin around the carpark is in order :oops: .

just had me worried :( . want to get it on track ASAP, and with funds as they are, would have knocked me back a bit.

cheers for quick replies :)
Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

viper_biker
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400RR, CBR1000RR6

Post by viper_biker » Fri May 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Turning rear wheel is normal. The GSX-R does it even at tick-over and more so when being revved. Dave, if you need a hand with anything just gimme a shout. I hope to get back on the track shortly after getting back from Germany. If you want I'll see about getting a lift to there and back again in my bro's Sprinter. Will be either the end of June or start of July. If you need to borrow bits of mine to get out on track then so be it, you'll be addicted :D
Ducati 916, not worth a carrott

monkeywithaplan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by monkeywithaplan » Fri May 23, 2008 8:55 pm

viper_biker wrote: If you need to borrow bits of mine to get out on track then so be it, you'll be addicted :D
your hyper-pro ;) , lol

cheers man, funds are hampering me more than anything else at moment. have less than i anticipated. am hoping mid july at latest(but most realistic) it will be all systems go................ then i go scare myself thinking clutch is fecked :lol:

but i shall no doubt be calling on your help over nxt few months.