VFR400 making a NC21 engine work in a NC24

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
cWILLIAMSc
Settled in member
Reactions:
VFR400 making a NC21 engine work in a NC24

Post by cWILLIAMSc » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:29 pm

Hi, i have a vfr400K with a blown engine.

It has a nc24 engine with a wrecked conrod big end bearing.
I cant find any listed nc24 engines for sale but can find nc21 engines (though they could be mislabelled as they appear to be missing the camshaft position sensor)

I know the nc21 has a camshaft sensor and some different plugs on the engine connectors. Does anyone know what would be required to do make it work with a nc24 loom and cdi. I could potentially swap some timing components from my wrecked engine to try and make them compatible
Thanks

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: VFR400 making a NC21 engine work in a NC24

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:27 pm

Hello - welcome

You will find the answer on here, I'm sure - have a look in the search and keep your eyes peeled for posts by a member Neosophist - he has all of the knowledge in this area I would say

I thought a 400K was an NC21 and if yours has a 24 motor already, then it proves it can be done.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

cWILLIAMSc
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: VFR400 making a NC21 engine work in a NC24

Post by cWILLIAMSc » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:11 pm

I'm familiar with Neosophist posts. They helped me a lot when i first got the bike in bits a couple years back

Its a bit of a weird bike, as best I can tell it came from the factory with the NC24 engine as there is a parts fiche that I have found for a 400k (https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... me/2/32494 for anyone interested).

The carbs also measure 32mm and has the velocity stacks which matches with NC24 carbs as far as I can tell from posts and part fiches.

Mine is a vfr400k(j) 1988 but it at least shows some K models came with the 24 engine loom and cdi. It also matches some other quirks my bike has like 30mm front pistons.

Some posts make mention of NC21 engines having no front camshaft sensor, does anyone know if those bikes also came with the later 2 brown plug cdi from OKI or the 3 plug with red connector cdi's