CB400SF 95 Engine Case Advice

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Josseh
Settled in member
Reactions:
CB400SF 95 Engine Case Advice

Post by Josseh » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:36 am

Hi Everyone,

Backstory: Noticed an oil leak under my 95 CB400SF and began investigation. After washing the engine off I could see a bunch of JB weld near the sprocket (corner of the case, not the sump). I've took the engine out and found that at some point someones filled it full of JB weld and had a go at mig alu over the top of the JB weld. It's a right mess.

Issue: I can strip the case back and tidy it up (potentially) but at this point I'm looking for a bottom half of the case or full engine, just in case. My engine number begins with NC23E-18 and I cannot find any cases that match. Some posts on the forum suggest there are differences between the NC23E-10, NC23E-13, NC23E-14 etc which are for the CBR400 etc, that makes sense, I just do not know what values exist for the year/model of my bike. Should I be looking specifically for NC23E-18.

If need be I can also show some pictures of the work from some one who thought this monstrosity of JB weld was a good idea.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Joss

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893
Re: CB400SF 95 Engine Case Advice

Post by MadMotoUK » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:52 pm

As far as I can remember, any bottom end from 1992 to 1997 will do the job, only the top ends differ. Earlier bottom ends were the CB1 which had gear driven cams, later engines are the completely different VTEC models.

Josseh
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: CB400SF 95 Engine Case Advice

Post by Josseh » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:14 pm

Thank you for your advice. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a donor engine/case.