NC29 Squeaky wheel.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
NC29 Squeaky wheel.

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:13 pm

There is a pretty loud squeaking sound coming from the back wheel. This only happens when the bike moves forwards, not backwards. It has gradually got louder. I've posted about this before and it was suggested it could be the rear brake. I removed and dismantled the caliper. I replaced the hanger pin and sleeve with new parts, cleaned everything else, greased and reassembled. The squeak is still there.

I'm guessing if it's not the brake it has to be the hub or suspension. When I get my ear down there it sounds closer to the hub than the shock or linkage. Yet if I sit on the bike and bounce it up and down it squeaks like billy-oh, on every bounce. Would this bouncing affect the hub?

As I roll the bike forwards it squeaks on every revolution, but is intermittent. In other words, it's 'squeak' pause, 'squeak' pause etc as the bike continues forwards (is this making sense?).

The last person to work on the bike was Graeme France in April 2019. He stripped and cleaned both wheels and sprocket carrier, then fitted new wheel bearings and seals. He aligned the wheels. He stripped, cleaned and regreased the suspension linkages as part of a CBR600 shock replacement. Graeme is fastidious, so all this would have been done correctly and by the book. I can't believe quality bearings would fail after 2 years and a few hundred miles.

Could a worn cush-drive cause this?

I know I need to do the obvious and get the bike up on the stand but I'm just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas. It's going for an MOT tomorrow..I hope a squeaky wheel isn't a fail :pray:

Foxy400
Reactions:
Re: NC29 Squeaky wheel.

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:24 pm

PS. Another option is to give GF a call and get him to listen to the squeak and diagnose the problem.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:53 pm

A squeak suggests to me something non-metallic, so maybe cush drive or suspension related. I've never experienced a squeaky cush though so I'd be inclined to think suspension.

I'd expect a bearing noise to be described as a squeal not a squeak, the same with brakes.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:23 pm

Is your rear disc warped? Have you adjusted your chain/had New tyres put on?

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:51 am

Go and put another couple of 100 miles on it.. It will only do 3 things.. get worse, go away, or stay the same. At least you will be happier for riding it..

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:58 pm

cbr400rrn wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:23 pm
Is your rear disc warped? Have you adjusted your chain/had New tyres put on?
No to all 3 questions. I phoned to cancel the MOT (apparently some people don't even bother) and the chap said bring it in anyway as he may be able to sort it out. Very nice of him. So I did. But he couldn't. Although he passed it anyway. So I'm happier..but still want to know why it squeaks.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Suzuki416 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:51 am
Go and put another couple of 100 miles on it.. It will only do 3 things.. get worse, go away, or stay the same. At least you will be happier for riding it..
When I got to the MOT shop the squeak was less obvious. After the 50 mile long-way-home return journey it was even quieter. But this has happened before and it usually returns to full-volume squeakiness the next time it moves. Hmm..I think a call to GF is required.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:53 pm

Only when being rolled forward or when when ridden? My nc30 has a squeak occasionally when rolled forward none when rolled backwards. Appears to be result of pads rubbing on the disc as the wheel rotates. Why it only happens in one direction and not the other no idea, maybe just the wear pattern on the pads or disc. Does not affect brakes so no longer worry about.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:26 pm

magg wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:53 pm
Only when being rolled forward or when when ridden? My nc30 has a squeak occasionally when rolled forward none when rolled backwards. Appears to be result of pads rubbing on the disc as the wheel rotates. Why it only happens in one direction and not the other no idea, maybe just the wear pattern on the pads or disc. Does not affect brakes so no longer worry about.
Likely due to a lack of leading edge on the pads. If you look at brand new pads, the edges normally have a slight chamfer. This disappears as the pads wear, leaving a square edge that can cause a squeal if the pads don't sit perfectly straight in the running grooves.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:16 am

magg wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:53 pm
Only when rolled forward, none when rolled back, similar to yours. I can hear it as I ride off but once on the move I can't, but wouldn't expect to anyway, above engine and exhaust noise. The MOT chap suggested pretty much the same thing, pads rubbing in one direction only. He said it was common on cars. It has no affect on the brakes. So I'll try to ignore it.