VFR400 NC24 rebuild

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Ancientmatiner
Settled in member
Reactions:
VFR400 NC24 rebuild

Post by Ancientmatiner » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi all,

New to the forum and for last 6 months have been working on an NC24 I bought to learn how to work on bikes.
So far I have done the following:
1. Rebuilt and refitted front forks, simple enough as long as you don't assume the person who had the bike before you had done it right).
2. Removed, cleaned and refitted carbs (all main jets blocked).
3. fitted new choke cable as old one snapped.
4. Front wheel currently being resprayed and have new bearings ready.

I have still to do:
1. Fit chain.
2. Fit exhaust.
3. Refit fairings.
4. Get MOT.
5. After MOT strip, vapour blast components, powder coat/paint/electroplate and rebuild.

It's starting to look like a bike again, I resprayed the forks when I had them in bits.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: VFR400 NC24 rebuild

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid you're going to find it rather sparsely populated nowadays. Too many people have betrayed us and switched to farcebook. I've never checked it out, so don't know the appeal myself. Also, our 400's are getting thin on the ground these days, and as they age and die so their owners disappear. 400greybike owners are a dying breed. And it's not just the bikes that are ageing of course. I get the feeling people often don't sell their bike(s) but stick them at the back of the garage in the hope that one day they'll hit the road again, while others are hanging on to what they think is an 'investment'. A great shame.
Anyway, enough of the negativity! At least we've got one new member (you) and let's hope you stick around. Sounds like you know what you're doing and have a plan, it's always good to hear of another bike being saved.
Btw your pics didn't come through (or at least I can't see them). Posting photos on this site has always been tricky for some people. If you're IT competent you should be able to work it out.
If you ask for advice or have any questions just be a bit patient, someone will get back to you eventually and often with the right answer!

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:08 pm

I've re-hosted your pic, for some reason Google photo links don't post correctly.

It looks pretty clean from what I can see, a good find.

What state is the exhaust 4-1 collector in? If it's bad, just be aware they are made from unobtainium so you'll either need to fabricate one as I did for my NC24, or there was someone on here who used to make them in stainless for members but that was several years ago and I can't remember who :|

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Hello and welcome, as someone has already stated you sound like you know what you're doing from the work you have already completed on the bike. The old 400's are brilliant to learn mechanical skills from so i shall congratulate you for picking one of them.

Ancientmatiner
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ancientmatiner » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:28 pm

I certainly don't feel like I know what I'm doing! But thanks for the positivity!

I have just put a new chain on and am struggling to adjust it.
Off to have another go after reading a post about NC24 chain adjustment on here just.

I did however start it yesterday and fired perfectly, revved perfectly and I was over joyed..........until I smelt the puddle of fuel rapidly increasing around my feet and splashing down all over the exhaust headers. Oops. Suspect it's coming from the rear left carb rubber however I'm surprised the quantity would be leaking from here?

Also picked up blasted wheel today and fitted new bearings which I'm pleased with, just need a set of discs.

Ancientmatiner
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ancientmatiner » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:35 pm

Re the exhaust collector I am going to get the predator system in stainless right through.

The 4 to 1 will pass MOT so I intend to bolt the back section on, get it MOTd and then when I fully strip down and remove engine I will fit the whole stainless system.

I have found that many components seem to be made from Unobtanium on this bike, it does my head in.
I considered making the system myself however the cost of the stainless and my TIG "ability" not being brilliant I don't want to create an expensive scrap sculpture

Ancientmatiner
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ancientmatiner » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:46 pm

So forks refitted, discs fitted on newly done wheel.

Manage to start it and noticed fuel cascading out of one of the carb seals. Seems float was stuck Which I have rectified however now it won't start, seems to be firing on 1 of 3 cylinders.

Removed all plugs and suspect all flooded. Cleaned and replaced. Going to recharge battery and. See how we go. Fingers crossed. Annoying as even though it was leaking it revved well and didn't die.

See if tomorrow brings more success.

Ancientmatiner
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ancientmatiner » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:28 pm

So recharged the battery, tried again and no luck.

Process of elimination realised I hadn't refitted the collar clips on the carb rubbers seals (I didnt think it would make masses of difference but it did). Refitted and tightened these and boom 💥 fired up first time!

So engaged 1st and hey ho the wheel turns!!............with the clutch lever fully depressed 😔 next job, look at clutch drawings.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 pm

If it's been stood for a while the clutch plates have probably stuck. The clutch basket is a fairly easy strip down.

Ancientmatiner
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ancientmatiner » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:11 am

I shall investigate, been advised to ride it a bit just round the unit at slow speed and "see what happens" first 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just wanted to be doing less pulling apart tbh.