CB400SF NC31 right handlebar switch

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1992 CB400 NC31
CB400SF NC31 right handlebar switch

Post by untonyto » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:09 pm

Thanks for all your help so far. I've come a long way. Anyway...

One of the previous owners of my NC31 somehow got a single throttle cable type of switch onto the right handlebar switch. So I am switching out the right handlebar switch with a replacement that can incorporate push-pull throttle cables like stock.

Problem is, the replacement switch is from a CBR250R. There is no lights on/off/hazard toggle switch like nc31 would ordinarily have, just the killswitch and start button.

I can do without hazard lights (I think!).

Is there a way to wire it so the lights can function without the switch? I don't mind lights being always on whenever the key is switched on. If it helps I have an on/off toggle switch I could wire into the harness somewhere. I just don't know which wires to splice together. Here's a wiring diagram if anyone's up to the task.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: CB400SF NC31 right handlebar switch

Post by magg » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:54 am

Image does not appear to be loaded.

MadMotoUK
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:16 am

Using an automotive relay, take a 15a fused supply direct from the battery to terminal 87. Your positive feed to the headlight bulb goes to terminal 30. A negative supply from the battery or bare frame goes to terminal 86. Your switching wire goes to terminal 85 and is spliced into the wire I assume is red on the left side of the ignition switch in your diagram (the image isn't great quality), fused with a 1a or 2a fuse. This will give you headlights on when the ignition is turned on. When you operate the starter, it should kill the lights momentarily to divert all power to the starter.

untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by untonyto » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:08 pm

MadMotoUK wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:16 am
Using an automotive relay, take a 15a fused supply direct from the battery to terminal 87. Your positive feed to the headlight bulb goes to terminal 30. A negative supply from the battery or bare frame goes to terminal 86. Your switching wire goes to terminal 85 and is spliced into the wire I assume is red on the left side of the ignition switch in your diagram (the image isn't great quality), fused with a 1a or 2a fuse. This will give you headlights on when the ignition is turned on. When you operate the starter, it should kill the lights momentarily to divert all power to the starter.
Thanks MadMotoUK. I've been trying to wrap my head around your instructions, hence the late response. So here are two simplified wiring diagrams I've been working on that include only the relevant parts.

First is the stock layout
Then here's the relay wired in (the way I understood you)

I probably got something quite wrong, please let me know.

Also, I can't figure out where to splice the black/red wire for the headlight dimmer button on the left switch. Probably to the 30 side of the relay?

untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by untonyto » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:13 pm

magg wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:54 am
Image does not appear to be loaded.
Hey magg, here's a link to the image

MadMotoUK
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:50 am

untonyto wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:08 pm
MadMotoUK wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:16 am
Thanks MadMotoUK. I've been trying to wrap my head around your instructions, hence the late response. So here are two simplified wiring diagrams I've been working on that include only the relevant parts.

First is the stock layout
Then here's the relay wired in (the way I understood you)

I probably got something quite wrong, please let me know.

Also, I can't figure out where to splice the black/red wire for the headlight dimmer button on the left switch. Probably to the 30 side of the relay?

Nearly right. It's easier now I can see the conductor colours. I wouldn't actually disconnect any of the OEM equipment, just splice the new wires into the existing by cutting, soldering and heatshrinking. I would advise however, doing a dry run first to ensure that it all works by using Scotchlocks so there's minimal damage should something be incorrect (I've had bikes before that someone has messed about with and wiring colours have been crossed)

Alternatively, the wire running to terminal 87 can be fed directly from the battery without going through the ignition switch.

untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by untonyto » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:02 pm

MadMotoUK wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:50 am

Nearly right. It's easier now I can see the conductor colours. I wouldn't actually disconnect any of the OEM equipment, just splice the new wires into the existing by cutting, soldering and heatshrinking. I would advise however, doing a dry run first to ensure that it all works by using Scotchlocks so there's minimal damage should something be incorrect (I've had bikes before that someone has messed about with and wiring colours have been crossed)

Alternatively, the wire running to terminal 87 can be fed directly from the battery without going through the ignition switch.
I can't view the linked image, probably the hosting server is down?

EDIT: the harness is entirely off the bike now. I pulled it all out of its the insulation and electrical tape. It was necessary because the battery was draining every day due to previous owners merging bits of harnesses from other bikes rather carelessly. There was a lot of crossed wires and useless loops of circuit. So everything is disconnected.

MadMotoUK
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:42 pm

untonyto wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:02 pm
It's showing now?

untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by untonyto » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:53 pm

MadMotoUK wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:42 pm
untonyto wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:02 pm
It's showing now?
Still no luck...

MadMotoUK
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:59 pm

Hmmm. It's showing OK for me. Your firewall or browser settings blocking external links?