Is there a reliable, not expensive compression tester?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
tanto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, Raleigh Chopper
Is there a reliable, not expensive compression tester?

Post by tanto » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:12 am

I read online that the cheapo chinese compression testers aren't reliable. Does anyone have a compression tester they are happy with? What would you recommend?

Needless to say, the compression tester should come with an adapter for the tiny 8mm sparkplug thread of the Honda V4. I am interested to know what 400GB members use.

Amendment: It appears that most compression testers accommodate M10x 1.0, M12x 1.25, M14x 1.25, M18x 1.5 threads but not 8mm. Where does one find suitable adapters? My eBay searches are coming up nil (though that might be a question of using the wrong search term.)

Thanks!
"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - US Army manual of preventive maintenance.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893
Re: Is there a reliable, not expensive compression tester?

Post by MadMotoUK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:28 pm

I bought one of these from Amazon purely for the 8mm adapter: Mekanik Petrol Engine Compression Tester Kit Universal Push On M8 M10 M12 M14 (link from app doesn't work so copy and paste into Amazon) it's only £16.

I already have the Sealey CT955 kit and just use the 8mm adapter from the cheap kit. Having said that, the cheap kit is pretty accurate but I don't know how long it would remain so as I've only used it twice for comparison.

tanto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, Raleigh Chopper
Re: Is there a reliable, not expensive compression tester?

Post by tanto » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:11 pm

That's immensely helpful. Order placed on Amazon.co.uk. Thank you! (Oddly Amazon's own search engine couldn't find the kit but Google did. I guess Google's AI is ahead.)
"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - US Army manual of preventive maintenance.