NC21 rebuild

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
tanto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, Raleigh Chopper
NC21 rebuild

Post by tanto » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:49 am

Hi Chaps! It's been a long time since I was last on this forum with my beloved NC30. Now I am back in the UK and mulling a new project, a rebuild of an NC21. It would involve changing frames and building the bike up so it's a runner but not to concors condition. Before diving in, I have a few questions;

- Who would one use for making a new loom in the UK? Or are there sources of NC21 looms?

- What unobtainable parts are there that I should know about? I have read every thread on the forum related to the NC21 and have some understanding of the differences between the NC21, the NC24, and NC30/35's. I sense that NC21 parts from the usual suppliers such as David Silvers & RO don't cover everything I might need. I am wary that there may be a part which is impossible to get and which halts the project.

- Does anyone have a workshop or equivalent manual? I can't seem to find any manuals that are NC21 specific. I have the NC30 Haynes & Honda manuals.

Is there anything else I should know? My guess is that for such an old bike pretty much everything will need attention esp the electrics, carb tap & carb gaskets, and the exhaust. I hope the engine is okay! :grin:

Any feedback gratefully received. Thanks!
"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - US Army manual of preventive maintenance.

Faxe400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400RH, VF1000RG
Re: NC21 rebuild

Post by Faxe400 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:10 pm

You have to do some investigations. Brake parts from other Honda will fit (NTV650 rear brake i.e.). Some as fork seals for Kawasaki, ...

uses NC30 engine gasket set, that covers most of the gaskets (valve cover, generator cover, ....

Carb set is available from japan (Cruzini mage)

ebay can help with used parts. There are dutch used bike parts sellers that have some parts. If exhaust collector box is same as NC24, they are hart to find.

Jim has a pdf of the original workshop manual. It works with some V4 experience and google translator or your japanese is good.

After 30+ years you will find lots of "surprises" as I did on my NC24 rebuild.

Axel

tanto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, Raleigh Chopper
Re: NC21 rebuild

Post by tanto » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks, Faxe400. I haven't seen an NC21 next to an NC30 engine. If most of the gaskets fit, that's a good start. I am hoping to overhaul the engine first, then worry about the rest of the bike. For the carbs, is that "Cruzini mage" or "Cruzin Image?" I was going to message litetek for their Viton seals, if they have them.

The workshop manual in Japanese would be great (which Jim is that, btw?). My wife went to Uni in Japan and speaks Japanese, and I'm familiar with the V4's (I've done quite a few bikes since my NC30). I'm sure there will be surprises. There always are! I just hope none of them are fatal.
"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - US Army manual of preventive maintenance.