Running on 3.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Running on 3.

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:47 pm

Meanwhile l had planned to take the Gullarm for a ride out to the VJMC show in Alsager. But the thought of wandering round lugging jacket & helmet, wearing jeans & boots, while slowly melting in this heat, put me off (l know, wimp). Instead l took the Bonneville out for a 50 mile spin. Much more breezy than being tucked behind a full fairing, with the heat from a boiling engine roasting yer vitals.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 pm

Heck of a change in weather between Sunday and Monday, we’re now back to the sort of temperatures we are used to

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:31 pm

Latest..the title of this thread is running on 3, in fact the bike is only running on the rear two! Got a replacement coil from Rick Oliver. Tested it and it was (is) fine. Fitted it yesterday. The bike is still running on two :(
The bike is at the back of the garage until I can summon the enthusiasm to try again.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:50 am

So the new coil has the correct primary and secondary resistance? The TCI unit maybe damaged from ignition coil with 0.3 ohm primary resistance.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:06 pm

Yes, the new coil from Rick O. is ok but the front two cylinders still not firing. So the TCI unit can be damaged by low resistance from the coil, I didn't know that. Does this mean the TCI can still partially function? In other words it will still allow the correct 'signal' (or whatever it is) to reach the rear two cylinders but not the front two?
Therefore, if I swop my TCI unit with a known good one (from Rick) then that may cure the problem?
Thanks for your help Magg.

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:16 pm

The ignition coil that you measured to have a primary resistance of 0.3 ohms would have been a serious mismatch to the expected value of around 3.0 ohms. So yes, such a low resistance could have damaged the half of the TCI that drives the front two cylinders. Without specialized equipment to test the TCI, swapping for a good one is the only test, although the smell test may indicate all is not well. Someone on this site may have spare you could try or rick oliver as you have suggested.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:16 pm

Rick Oliver has kindly offered a 'sale-or-return' deal on a replacement TCI, so I can fit it but if it makes no difference I can return it. So that will probably be my next step.

Just out of interest, what can make a coil go pop in the first place? Do they wear out? Originals are getting on for 30 yrs old now. I can't remember if I've mentioned it somewhere in this thread, but the original front coil (the one that was fitted when I got the bike in 2013) died towards the end of last year and a genuine Honda replacement was fitted by Graeme France. When the bike came back I took it straight out for a short run and everything was hunky dory. The next two rides showed no issues. But then it dropped the front two cylinders again and when checked, the replacement (GF) coil was only showing 0.3 ohms. This was then swopped for a functioning coil (from RO), which hasn't cured the problem.
So for some reason my bike has killed two coils in the space of a few months. This could be pure chance or bad luck, or might there be an underlining problem?
Is there anything I should do before simply swopping TCI's, or just try that next?

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:23 pm

Ah, looking back I see I have mentioned some of the above before. Oh well, call it a summary :smile:

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:05 am

The GF coil primary resistance of 0.3 ohms is not indicative of faulty coil unless it was supposed to be 3 ohms. The coil could be for a CDI ignition system, in which case a resistance of 0.3 ohms could be acceptable. The 0 ohm reading for your original coil is indicative of a shorted secondary, although an open circuit secondary is a more common failure. If you have two coils with a primary resistance of approx. 3.0 ohms, then they are within spec. and will be a match for the substitute R.O. TCI.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:49 pm

Thanks for that magg. I shall keep you (and anyone else bothering to read this) posted.