Running on 3.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
richyrd5
Reactions:
Re: Running on 3.

Post by richyrd5 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Lol,fair enough...why have the hassle when you can pay someone else to have the grief!!!

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:36 am

Still can't sort this problem. Also noticed a slight oil leak. There is a trace of oil running down the side stand and collecting in a small pool if the bike is left for a few days..could be a seal. So I've booked the bike in with Graeme France. Trouble is he's very busy plus he hasn't seen his family for months (they live overseas), so he's heading east soon. It's going to be a while before much happens. So I need to drain the tank. Can I do this with the tank on the bike? If so, how? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the tank has to be removed.
GF said to park the bike on a paddock stand. I've got an ABBA but use it on the NC29 so would rather not leave it on the NC35. Anyone got any recommendations for a decent single-sided paddock stand?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 pm

It can't be that hard to drain the tank can it, surely it's got to be easier than draining the fuel from a fuel injected bike. What about buying a fuel pump to get rid of most of it before you take the tank off? Just an idea as this is what i use before i took the tank off
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Manual-Ha ... ect=mobile

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:05 pm

cbr400rrn wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 pm
It can't be that hard to drain the tank can it, surely it's got to be easier than draining the fuel from a fuel injected bike. What about buying a fuel pump to get rid of most of it before you take the tank off? Just an idea as this is what i use before i took the tank off
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Manual-Ha ... ect=mobile
Thanks for that. I've ordered one. I was going to use a piece of tubing and do the ol' suck method but that siphon pump is not much more than the cost of 2m of plastic tubing and will save me the chance of getting a mouth full of Shell V-Power. Then switch the fuel tap to reserve and run the bike to drain the carbs.

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30 & 94 CBR900RRR

Post by Kenthammer » Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 pm

It’s a 10 min job to remove the tank, but if you don’t want to, then your fiddling around to remove the fuel hose and attach another hose, then either pull the vacuum hose off the base carb, or slip another hose onto the tap vacuum spigot, by the time you’ve pfaffed around with that, you would have had the tank off and drained. :grin:

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:47 am

Kenthammer wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 pm
It’s a 10 min job to remove the tank, but if you don’t want to, then your fiddling around to remove the fuel hose and attach another hose, then either pull the vacuum hose off the base carb, or slip another hose onto the tap vacuum spigot, by the time you’ve pfaffed around with that, you would have had the tank off and drained. :grin:
Thanks. I'll bear that in mind if the cheapo pump thing proves less than straight forward. Still looking for recommendations for a single sided paddock stand (that doesn't have Harris written on it and cost £200+...although if someone wants rid at half price I'm your man!).

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:04 pm

Well the bike went to GF last week. Dan the Van Man came to pick it up in his new-to-him transit (or whatever it was). I always find it unnerving watching someone run one of my bikes up a very narrow ramp and into a van, especially as my NC35 was the first bike he'd loaded into his new van and the 'step-up' was pretty high. He did it ok.
I sent Graeme a list of jobs with the bike, besides sorting out the mystery engine problem. Small oil leak by the side stand. Notchy steering head bearings. Rebuild and upgrade forks. Refinish lower yoke. Fit replacement undertray (with reflector intact). Sort out corroded lower radiator and change the oil filter I couldn't access. Give the bike a general check over. I'll report on his progress.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Heard from GF. It seems oil seals have failed at the top of the engine, allowing oil to reach the plugs, especially cylinder 3. New seals and plugs required. Plus bolts..don't ask which, I can't remember, but he said they were the originals and after 24,000 kms/mls had stretched. The lower rad is beyond saving, so a quality after-market replacement is going in (£100). I happened to have a NOS upper bracket for the rad, so that's finally getting used. The fan casing is corroded so will be refurbed, along with the lower yoke. Gear lever oil seal also replaced. The forks are suffering from a hydraulic lock, three quarters of the way into travel. I'm not sure what that means but they were rebuilt 5-or-so years ago by a supposedly reputable company near Warrington, who apparently didn't do a great job. This same company replaced the chain and sprockets at the same time. However, they fitted the wrong size rear sprocket and used a split-link to join the chain (probably not the best idea on these bikes) but FORGOT TO FIT THE CLIP! I spotted it a few moments before I rode away and headed for the M56. 10,000+ revs through an unsecured chain would have been interesting. These are the reasons I use GF. More to come.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Split link chain on a 400? That's just asking for trouble. At most they are designed for sub 250cc bikes.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:07 pm

Do all the valve stem oil seals need replacing or just on cylinder 3?