Oily plugs - fix or sell up?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Oily plugs - fix or sell up?

Post by matt74 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:24 pm

Definitely on both the rear plugs - they have been checked more often due to accessibility. I don't suspect the fuel tap as that was replaced in the last 2 years when the bike was serviced after sitting idle for a few years (and not stored properly - my fault).

I'l pull hem out again at the weekend and see what they look like as they went back clean.

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:36 am

what this says to me is the bike needs to be ridden - like every day for a couple of weeks for at least 30miles - 1/2hr +. I suspect that then your supposed issues may either 1. go away, or 2. reveal themselves...

matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by matt74 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:55 am

I’m not averse to an Italian tune up.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:06 pm

Suzuki416 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:36 am
what this says to me is the bike needs to be ridden - like every day for a couple of weeks for at least 30miles - 1/2hr +. I suspect that then your supposed issues may either 1. go away, or 2. reveal themselves...
All old bikes like to be used - if they don't, they get frail and cause trouble
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:15 am

If it runs smooth after warmup just ride it. If a ride is not possible due to time constraints or weather, every week or so start it and run it until it reaches operating temperature. Hard to start after standing for a week or more could be because fuel has evaporated from the float bowls and does not refill quickly enough before the battery begins to sag, because of the vacuum controlled fuel tap.

Have a vrf that uses 500ml of oil per 500km ride, leaves soot coating on rear of bike and plugs.

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8

Post by Vincent » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:05 am

Are the plugs oiling just from sitting? Is there oil in the plug wells?
Any external oil leaks from the spark plug drain hole?
If there is that's a good indication it's just an old brittle rocker cover gasket causing the issue.
If so that's an easy fix, and you can do your valve clearances while you're in there.

Otherwise if it's oiling while running, maybe valve stem seals? A bit more involved, but definitely something you could do over a couple of weekends with a good manual.

If I were you I'd definitely give it a crack myself before handing money to a garage or selling the bike.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Well matt74, what's the latest? Your last post on this thread was June (this year) and I'd like to know what you've ended up doing with the bike. Fixed it? How? Sold it? Hope not! We need to know.

matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by matt74 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:42 am

Hi, sorry to say not munch! Still not got it running but not sold it either which is one positive. Been a question of time, riding another bike and an old Golf that decided it needed lots of things doing to it this year at great expense.

I had a chat with a guy when getting a tyre replaced on my other bike and he suggested taking it to https://kandsmotorcycles.co.uk/ so might pop round there. I just need to get it done not least because I’m not getting any thinner and the the rear sock is starting to complain!

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:26 pm

Well at least you've still got it. K&S Motorcycles eh? I've had a butchers at their website. Very professional looking but a long way from me. They do a pick up service, although that's going to be expensive at around 200 miles. I think you should get your bike over there, let them work on it, then tell me if they've cured the problem. If you're happy and it's not too extortionate then I might consider getting mine down there.