Nc35 starting issues- never ending issues...

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Skim325
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Nc35 starting issues- never ending issues...

Post by Skim325 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 am

magg wrote:Was the bike running on all cylinders before you did "the minor carb rebuild"?

Why are you looking for the ground on the front carbies, there is none.

The alternator connector damage is caused by deteriorated contacts. Fix all the connections, including the rect/reg, and then check the charging system performance, around 14 volts at the battery at 5000rpm is a pass. The front ignition coil is located in the same area as the damaged alternator/loom connector, is it not. Has the damaged alternator connector also damaged the loom and perhaps the leads to the front ignition coil.
The bike was running poorly before I did the carb rebuild. I suspected an issue possibly with clogged jets and tried there first.

I fixed the connectors to the alternator, pulled the rectifier and checked the readings, and testing the leads showed consistent results all around.

The front ignition coil is indeed located on the same side as the damaged connectors shown in one of the pictures above, but it does not look like the connectors to the ignition coil had any damage to them visually.

Suzuki416 wrote:The 'Common' earth for the front coils is on the bottom right of the engine near the starter. Think its a 10mm bolt.

if you have the manual i think it shows the stator & how it should look.
Thanks, I’ll have to look for that.

So today I tested to rectifier, and as mentioned above, still seems to be working. Well at least, when testing the leads with a multimeter, seem to give off consistent readings when testing the leads that go to the alternator.
So now, I think I’ll fit it back to the bike and start getting readings with.the bike off, cranking, and charging as suggested by

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 am

ok to do the test first charge the battery.

You have to do a hot & cold test.

If you get inconsistent readings on those 3 yellow wires coming from the stator then pull the cover. Hence, buy a stator cover gasket - 75% its screwed.

Don't worry about the general running of the bike until the electrical system is checked & passed ok. If your electrical circuit is compremised then that will affect the bike.

Skim325
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Skim325 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:46 am

Thanks everyone!
So here is the latest update

I hooked up the rectifier, and checked the voltage on the bike. Read 12 and change, (I should have taken pictures, as clearly, I don’t remember exactly).
When cranking, was 11.5, and when the bike was running, the meter was reading 14.3.
So not bad numbers I don’t think.

The best part was, the bike seemed to crank over well, and seemed to sound okay when running.

So now, the final issue. I noticed that the revs were a bit high, and didn’t settle down too well even after fidgeting with the idle screw. After peeking around a bit, it seems I had a gas leak somewhere, and upon further inspection, it looks like it was leaking from the fuel hose. I initially thought the leak was coming from the float bowls, as I did take apart the carbs, but luckily that wasn’t the case. I did notice that the fuel hose was cracking at the end a bit, but didn’t think anything of it at first, as I was planning to replace it anyway.

So now, it looks like my next steps are to replace the fuel hose, purchase a back up rectifier, stator connectors and maybe a earth ground upgrade kit, along with a stator gasket, and possibly a replacement stator for if/when it does go bad.

I’ll update further as I get the parts in and replace the hose.
I don’t think I’ll replace the rectifier unless it does indeed go bad.
I will likely want to replace the stator connectors, as currently, the wires are spliced and fitted with some basic electrical connectors and heat shrunk.
Considering the readings I was getting on the bike, I don’t think the stator will need to be replaced quite just yet, but I’ll order the parts anyway and keep them on hand.

I’m hoping that once the fuel hose is replaced, the bike will run a bit more smooth, enough to get it back on the road at least. =)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:02 pm

May need the mixture screws adjusted.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:05 pm

If you're going to carry out those jobs I'd replace the rectifier if I was you. Mine went pop a few months ago. It took the battery with it and caused some wiring damage and a connector to partially melt. I didn't notice the wiring issue at first, not until the bike started struggling as the revs went past 7-8000 and spluttered to a stop. So as well as a new (upgraded) rectifier and battery, I had the trouble of sorting the wiring. All fine now.

Skim325
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Skim325 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:18 am

Thanks all, the bike is up and running for the moment. Finally! Thanks again to everyone here who offered suggestions and help!
I will be ordering a replacement rectifier and some other parts as well and get that replaced ASAP.