Split-Link Chain's

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Cal Walker
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, CRF450R Supermoto
Split-Link Chain's

Post by Cal Walker » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Need to upgrade and replace my NC's chain and sprockets. Had a quick look in the Haynes manual earlier and it states in there that you must not use a chain with a Split-Link? (Was looking to use a Split-Link to aid fitting and cleaning and maintenance in the future)

Is this correct?? Or are any of you guys running chains with Split-Links with no issues?

All suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Cal

Sunnyday
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: UK NC30 17" Rear.
Re: Split-Link Chain's

Post by Sunnyday » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi Cal,

If they are available and have the correct rating It might be down to your own preference but personally I want the security of a riveted setup its not that hard to clean a chain in situ if you have a stand, I imagine you would have to slacken everything off to remove the chain clean it and then reset it that will take time to do.

I am sure the guys will have some further info for you.

cheers.

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Riveted chains are fitted from new and that's the way to go.
Split link chains have been known to fail.

mechannibalism
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mechannibalism » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:29 pm

I have used split links all my life and have never had a problem. I like to take my chain off every winter to clean and oil bath it. (hanging it up to drip dry for a month :~) Just make sure You install in the right direction and always use one that is not rusty or better a new one. I always inspect the grooves in the link to make sure it fits well . You can't be too fastidious about that. Go ahead and use it.....lately lawyers have a hand in writing manuals.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Correctly fitted they should be as reliable as the alternative types. As an aside most split links these days appear to be press fit with clip, not riveting. An arrangement that could be considered a sound compromise.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:17 pm

We used to use spring clips when 400 racing, so we could change sprockets/chains easy. But it's a safer idea to use a rivet type link. I only heard of 1 spring llnk coming off, and iirc that was because it had been re-used before.
If it's a good tight fit then a spring link may be good enough. Chain tools are only a tenner or so, just use the rivet :)

Cal Walker
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, CRF450R Supermoto

Post by Cal Walker » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all the feedback it's really helped!

I decided to go for a Renthal SRS R4 chain and sprocket kit (Standard Gearing) with there rivet link option to help aiding chain removal if needed but more secure than a sprung split link.

Looks awesome on the bike compared to the manky old D.I.D that had been fitted.

Many thanks again!

Cheers,

Cal